TJ prices...am I crazy?

I don’t know that you’re ever going to see a norm again-

These vehicles are often modified, susceptible to abuse and road salt damage, towed and also babied, loved and cherished by some.

I have paid $8900 for a Rubicon, And I have paid $34,000- And was tickled to death to get it both times.

And have paid about everything in between.

More and more it’s going to get down to how much you’re willing to look or how much you’re willing to look past, To find the one that is close to what you want.

Reactions: SouthernTJ2000
I don’t know that you’re ever going to see a norm again-

These vehicles are often modified, susceptible to abuse and road salt damage, towed and also babied, loved and cherished by some.

I have paid $8900 for a Rubicon, And I have paid $34,000- And was tickled to death to get it both times.

And have paid about everything in between.

More and more it’s going to get down to how much you’re willing to look or how much you’re willing to look past, To find the one that is close to what you want.

The value of something is what you can get someone to pay for it.
I have a stock, unlifted, original wheels, 36,000 mile Rubicon Unlimited, 2006, 6spd, two tops, in "arrest me" red that I have been offered $35k for on the street in both SA and Houston. It has a new Warn front bumper and winch, all new front suspension, and a Sony audio player. I would sell it, but then, what would I drive? It's hard to go from an LJ to...anything else.

Reactions: John Cooper and JMT
The value of something is what you can get someone to pay for it.
I have a stock, unlifted, original wheels, 36,000 mile Rubicon Unlimited, 2006, 6spd, two tops, in "arrest me" red that I have been offered $35k for on the street in both SA and Houston. It has a new Warn front bumper and winch, all new front suspension, and a Sony audio player. I would sell it, but then, what would I drive? It's hard to go from an LJ to...anything else.

Exactly- What the market will bear is the golden rule.

And for us it really gets down to how bad you want it versus how bad somebody else wants it.

Many of us don’t “have” to have these things. We don’t have them financed, and we have them because we love them and we do everything we can to make them exactly like we want them to be.

When I bought my LJ Rubicon getting that vehicle meant more to me than having the same amount of money in the bank.

For me these are not an investment- With the exception that I am investing in my own happiness.

Occasionally I have pondered what would I want to get if I got rid of it and quickly realize that I would never see it again and I would probably never seen one quite like it... Really at this point in the market and getting one that is exactly what you want is getting to be a little bit of a gamble. If I got rid of mine what I would really want is to have it back.

I guess what I’m saying is a lot of this gets down buying something for yourself that you really want to have- When the vehicle does that the price does not matter as much.

Last edited:
Bought my 2005 LJ in 2010 with 54k miles for $15k. Sold in 2012 with 77k miles for $14k.

Bought my 99 TJ in 2017 for $9500 and sold in 2021 for $10k.

Bought 06 LJ in 2021 for $14k. Would entertain selling it for $35k but no one would pay that.

Reactions: JMT
Bought my 2005 LJ in 2010 with 54k miles for $15k. Sold in 2012 with 77k miles for $14k.

Bought my 99 TJ in 2017 for $9500 and sold in 2021 for $10k.

Bought 06 LJ in 2021 for $14k. Would entertain selling it for $35k but no one would pay that.

You’re about like me- I really don’t want anybody to approach me about mine because they’re not going to want to hear what I’ve got to say. Plus most people that are not in the game don’t have any idea what it takes to get a good TJ and they especially don’t know what it takes to build one well.

You know there’s just too much going on to part with one of these on a whim-

To some extent most of us are emotionally invested.

It really takes a lot to own one of these and be able to keep it in peak condition, especially
If you wheel it.

These are exceptional vehicles and it takes an exceptional person to properly care for one. Takes commitment.

Last edited:
Sentimental value is worth $0 to the buyer. It is obviously very high when many owners would value their TJ.

This is all very different than people listing, as sellers, their TJ. The numbers are nonsense in that I see them listed and not sell. I sold a 2013 JKU with 61k miles 2 months ago for $23,300 for a solid margin. I got it to turn because it was a good deal, I don’t like longer LJ or JKU (personal preference), so I watch prices closely, and like @TheBoogieman i see them sit.

It just struck me that some of these listings are nonsense.

Funny thing is if you ever point it out, people say I’m clueless, they sell all over….they’re usually confusing “sell” with “list” ha.

I watch the market pretty close in Spokane. TJ’s are as low as $7,500 and as much as $27,000. Most LJ’s are in the $12,000-15,500 range. They are sitting longer. The prices are getting cut. Things just aren’t moving right now. Election year.

I’ve got a 2014 GMC Yukon SLT for sale for $16,000. My son is thinking of selling his TJR. It’s well-built with a salvage title. It should go for $12k.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Sentimental value is worth $0 to the buyer. It is obviously very high when many owners would value their TJ.
It just struck me that some of these listings are nonsense.
Funny thing is if you ever point it out, people say I’m clueless, they sell all over….they’re usually confusing “sell” with “list” ha.

Some sellers are just hoping they find a delusional buyer with deep pockets. I've sold all of my Jeeps for what they were worth and not what I wish they were worth. I've made some money or broke even on them. I sold my 03' auto (lifted on new 35s) with 27,000 miles on it to a car dealership. They drove 3 hours with a trailer to look at it and tried to talk me down on the price. I told him, "It's listed for $13,500 FIRM for a reason. Take it or leave it." He took it. They sold it the following week for a good profit.
p.s. I bought the Jeep sitting behind it soon after.
White and Green Jeeps (2).jpg

Reactions: mjonesjr84