TJ Scale Model

I didn't need one that fast! LOL I put it in my wish list. LOL :D

Ahh, no sad face. I'm going to get it. I just need to wait till I get some more funds built up. Just bought a few other things for Jeep. you know Just Empty Every Pocket. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Twopoint
Ahh, no sad face. I'm going to get it. I just need to wait till I get some more funds built up. Just bought a few other things for Jeep. you know Just Empty Every Pocket. LOL
Time to get out the purple paint and a small brush too hehe

• Love
Reactions: KimsJeep
In small scale, hotwheels size, Maisto did a TJ with a hardtop. Most of them sold under Speed Wheels brand. Some on ebay right now. I picked up a couple to do my Jeep. Greenlight does a pretty solid YJ, but can be modded fairly easy into a TJ clone. Picked up some red ones and some bigger tires to do my Jeep in the future. Hard top can be removed on the YJ but the upper door frames and windows go with it. But, you could carefully cut those out and stick them back on, which I plan to do.

Yeah, I have a couple of those saved in my ebay watch list. But before I found out Bburago did a red hardtop version, I had already ordered a Maisto parts Jeep with full doors. I had hoped, I still hope, LOL, that I could grab that red Rubicon, paint the maroon full doors red and have an almost perfect version of my Jeep in 1/18 scale. Buuuut, some diecast history: Bburago went out of business and Maisto basically bought them out. So, no real way to know if my Maisto parts Jeep is Maisto or Bburago, and no way to know if the full doors will fit the Rubicon. Sooo, the Bburago pricing is going up and supply is dwindling. I can remove the hard top, paint the flares and scratch build a roll bar. Or, grab a Rubicon and see if the parts doors will swap. Paint them up and move on with life. Or, take the roll bar off and hope there is still a Bburago out there for me, LOL. Or, I can buy 1:1 Jeep parts, like, brakes or head gasket or seat foam, LOL. It does like like, though, that the Maisto hard top is actually the Bburago hard top repackaged. And the Rubicon windshield frame looks to be the same as the Maisto/Bburago frame. Ah well, if an ebay coupon shows up, I'll probably roll the dice.

I finished up my plastic model tonight...Pretty happy with how it turned out. Its not perfect...I'm a bit out of practice, so there are a couple places that I missed some flash and there are a few minor brush marks. The big thing was I made my own roll bar and tire carrier. The rollbar in the model did not look realistic and there was NO spare. Since I had to buy 2 copies of the model for one complete kit (the remnants are going to be returned) I borrowed an extra wheel and tire for the spare. The new rollbar and tire carrier were made from leftover sprue and runner.

Overall, I would not really recommend this kit. I had a tough time getting it to look real and not cartoony. The tires leave a lot to be desired..you can see the marks in my the front tire in the picture. Putting the treads all the same direction exposes the ejector side on half of them. Lots of flash to trim, and the chassis has a twist in it, that won't let all 4 tires be on the ground.

I finished up my plastic model tonight...Pretty happy with how it turned out. Its not perfect...I'm a bit out of practice, so there are a couple places that I missed some flash and there are a few minor brush marks. The big thing was I made my own roll bar and tire carrier. The rollbar in the model did not look realistic and there was NO spare. Since I had to buy 2 copies of the model for one complete kit (the remnants are going to be returned) I borrowed an extra wheel and tire for the spare. The new rollbar and tire carrier were made from leftover sprue and runner.

Overall, I would not really recommend this kit. I had a tough time getting it to look real and not cartoony. The tires leave a lot to be desired..you can see the marks in my the front tire in the picture. Putting the treads all the same direction exposes the ejector side on half of them. Lots of flash to trim, and the chassis has a twist in it, that won't let all 4 tires be on the ground.

View attachment 78250View attachment 78251

View attachment 78256 View attachment 78257
I like it....so do you have to find a Frame straightening table 'model kit' to get those 4 wheels on the ground ? ;)

How long did it take you?

I like it....so do you have to find a Frame straightening table 'model kit' to get those 4 wheels on the ground ? ;)

How long did it take you?
Yeah, I had to go out and find a scale model shop that specialized in jeeps. What a bunch of scheisters out there! When I display it at work, I'll just put a rock under it...its built in poser flex!

It took me a couple weeks, couple hours at a time here and there. Didn't work on it solid.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
So, this showed up today. Got a good deal on it.

Annnnnd.....the doors fit!

The Rubicon is also an automatic! Bonus!!!

Just need to strip and repaint the doors and remove the Rubicon lettering. That should be good enough for now. Maybe some different wheels down the road. I really like the Canyon wheels on the Bburago, but can't justify the money for it right now. It's running about $40 when they show up. Got the Rubicon delivered for about $24. (Napoleon Dynamite voice: Luckyyyyy!!)

Reactions: Twopoint
So, this showed up today. Got a good deal on it.

View attachment 78817

View attachment 78819

Annnnnd.....the doors fit!

View attachment 78820

View attachment 78821

The Rubicon is also an automatic! Bonus!!!

View attachment 78822

Just need to strip and repaint the doors and remove the Rubicon lettering. That should be good enough for now. Maybe some different wheels down the road. I really like the Canyon wheels on the Bburago, but can't justify the money for it right now. It's running about $40 when they show up. Got the Rubicon delivered for about $24. (Napoleon Dynamite voice: Luckyyyyy!!)

Wait, did it come with full doors that don't match?

Naw. Scroll up a bit in this thread. I had picked up a parts Jeep (LOL, just like the real thing) for the full doors, hoping they would fit the Rubicon. Turns out they do.

Naw. Scroll up a bit in this thread. I had picked up a parts Jeep (LOL, just like the real thing) for the full doors, hoping they would fit the Rubicon. Turns out they do.

Ahhh, I missed that!

How funny! Now you're going to need a winch and some bumpers for it :ROFLMAO: