TJ Soft Top Tailgate Bar Question

Taylorschone

Hey all - I think I have everything all water tight with my Bestop soft top (brand new) but I realized I don't have the tailgate bar. In my search (and ignorance) I have found Rampage, ODIX, and others. I attached the image of the mount that is on the jeep, so I think I just need the actual bar, correct?

Tailgate.jpg

Hey all - I think I have everything all water tight with my Bestop soft top (brand new) but I realized I don't have the tailgate bar. In my search (and ignorance) I have found Rampage, ODIX, and others. I attached the image of the mount that is on the jeep, so I think I just need the actual bar, correct?

View attachment 113357

Did you buy the top from Bestop ? It should have came with a tailgate bar. Anyway you should be able to purchase the tailgate bar from Bestop.
You would just need the bar but is mount/clip from Bestop? Different brands have different sizes of tailgate bars and Clips so you would have to find the bar and clip.

Yes, that is what you need. Ironically, just re-installed my Best Top NX side windows and rear window this morning. That piece slips into a slot in the bar and then the bar inserts into the bracket which tensions the rear window.

I just installed a Bestop sail cloth replace-a-top on my 1997 Sunday afternoon. It does not come with a new tailgate bar and the instructions state you are to reuse yours. Judging from your picture that is all you are missing.

20190901_191247.jpg

I just installed a Bestop sail cloth replace-a-top on my 1997 Sunday afternoon. It does not come with a new tailgate bar and the instructions state you are to reuse yours. Judging from your picture that is all you are missing.

View attachment 113360

Replace a top would not come with any hardware but if he bought the soft top new with hardware to my knowledge it should have came with one. But the OP didn’t specify what he bought .

Did you buy the top from Bestop ? It should have came with a tailgate bar. Anyway you should be able to purchase the tailgate bar from Bestop.
You would just need the bar but is mount/clip from Bestop? Different brands have different sizes of tailgate bars and Clips so you would have to find the bar and clip.

I bought the jeep and the lady had purchased the top, but there was not a bar included. She had everything else so who knows where it could have gone...I just don't like the flapping sound, and the water getting in when I wash it! Looks like you have to get the bar and the clamps with it, maybe I can call them and just get the bar?

View attachment 113360
Nice Jeep! We are going to be twinners, I am putting on my OME 2.5" Ultimate kit (no body lift) and will upgrade from 31" street tires to some 31-32" AT's. Great jeep and thanks for the info! Here is mine now...just got the OEM Rubicon sliders installed.

Jeep.jpg

Not sure what Bestop soft top you have. Is it the OEM like version of the trektop?

They show two tailgate bars

$79.99
https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2006/wrangler/tailgate-bar/trektop-classic/trektop-classic-no/
And

$63.99
https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2006/wrangler/tailgate-bar/trektop-classic/trektop-classic-yes/

That is the magic question....I am trying to find a tag somewhere since I didn't order it. I have found the Bestop tag on the rear side window so far.

That is the magic question....I am trying to find a tag somewhere since I didn't order it. I have found the Bestop tag on the rear side window so far.
My top had part # tags stuck to the insides of the upper door skins. If you have them you can run a Google search to see what model you have.