TJ started making a slight squeak / chirp noise

cormorant tail kite

TJ Enthusiast
Hi all. Jeep started making a slight squeak/chirp noise, I listened at idle and it sounded like it was coming from the K&N filter. Was planning on going back to stock anyway, (thank you all for your help). Was hoping it was just a clogged filter. NOT! Over time the sound is more frequent, and unfortunately I can't hear it sitting, with hood up and revving engine. It happens at different times, different speeds, not constant, (yet?) . It is not a loud high pitch sound, more like when brakes squeak. To my eye, belt looks good, not rusted on any pully area. She's got 72,000 well cared for miles. Is there anything I can do, can check to give an idea what might be going on? Any thoughts would be great.

I would start by taking the belt off and checking all the pulleys & inspect the belt. If the belt has a lot of cracking put a new one on.

Since it sounds like brakes I would check them after eliminating belt & pulleys. They can sometimes make noises when they are not being used

Reactions: cormorant tail kite
Yea, was thinking belt, but it looks good, no cracks at all, still smooth, only a little discolored in spots, not saying there isn't anything underneath somewhere ya can't see. And thought pullys as well. After belt is off is it easy to tell which pully might be the culprit? Is it best to replace all while it's apart?
Only the sound is like squeaky brakes, not the brakes, sound is in engine, when driving

Start by spraying a little WD 40 on each pulley (Idler and tensioner), one at a time.

Yea, was thinking belt, but it looks good, no cracks at all, still smooth, only a little discolored in spots, not saying there isn't anything underneath somewhere ya can't see. And thought pullys as well. After belt is off is it easy to tell which pully might be the culprit? Is it best to replace all while it's apart?
Only the sound is like squeaky brakes, not the brakes, sound is in engine, when driving
The only two "pulleys" that make sense to replace to me are the fixed or tensioner pulleys. All the others pulleys are either A/C, alternator, water pump, power steering or crank. I wouldn't replace any of those until the part failed unless I couldn't live with the squeak

If you notice it on acceleration, the front drive shaft u-joints would be another good check like @nathanotis recommended

If it sounds like a bunch of little birds, aka angry sparrows, it is most likely your front driveshaft centering ball. Pull the shaft out and if the sound goes away that's your culprit. Even though the centering ball is the problem, replace all the u-joints and centering ball while you have it out.

The comment immediately before mine explained that, since it sounds like brakes, it makes sense to check them. They *can* make noise, even when not braking. Sometimes brake noise can go away when you hit the pedal, too...
I know this may sound like a dumb question, but are the u joints part of those 7 boots on a tj that get greased?

I know this may sound like a dumb question, but are the u joints part of those 7 boots on a tj that get greased?
I would start by checking the belt & pulleys, then doing a good visual of the brakes. If your pads look worn down or the rotors have groove you could be getting some intermittent squeaking.

Since your unfamiliar with the u-joints, I would recommend having someone else check them out if you can eliminate the other stuff first.

I would start by checking the belt & pulleys, then doing a good visual of the brakes. If your pads look worn down or the rotors have groove you could be getting some intermittent squeaking.

Since your unfamiliar with the u-joints, I would recommend having someone else check them out if you can eliminate the other stuff first.
Ha, I agree with the someone else. I get help with the big stuff, he has replaced everything under their sun in his 2 mini vans, I still like a jeepers opinion, I still like to be involved in any way I can.
And wondering if after we check out the belt and 2 pullys, if the drive shaft centering ball fix is one of those things to take to a mechanic because it's a bear to do? I ask him to help with things but if it is too much of a headache I don't do that to him

the centering ball is a part that will be apart of the disassembly/assembly process so it would be a good idea to replace while you're at it. I don't consider u-joints to be a hard job but that's subjective. you do need to have the ability to press the joints in/out so I would ask your buddy that.

It's easy to pull the front driveshaft to eliminate that as a sound source. It is difficult, however, to get to the bolts at the transfer case end without the skid being removed. I tried doing it without the skid removed once and it definitely did not save any time

Here's a visual that should help

U-Joint.jpg

If it sounds like a bunch of little birds, aka angry sparrows, it is most likely your front driveshaft centering ball. Pull the shaft out and if the sound goes away that's your culprit. Even though the centering ball is the problem, replace all the u-joints and centering ball while you have it out.
Here's a visual that should help

View attachment 262608
Perfect, thank you. Yes, I see that when I grease the boots, now I know what it's called

Thank you all for your input. Hopefully we will get to check her out this weekend. Makes me nervous driving. I've read about bad pullys, scary. I'll post what we found.

Reactions: Rob L.
Perfect, thank you. Yes, I see that when I grease the boots, now I know what it's called
There are 3 ujoints on the front driveshaft and a centering ball. If you remove the shaft (it’s 8 bolts, all 5/16” or 8mm) and the squeak goes away, that’s your problem

Hi all. Jeep started making a slight squeak/chirp noise, I listened at idle and it sounded like it was coming from the K&N filter. Was planning on going back to stock anyway, (thank you all for your help). Was hoping it was just a clogged filter. NOT! Over time the sound is more frequent, and unfortunately I can't hear it sitting, with hood up and revving engine. It happens at different times, different speeds, not constant, (yet?) . It is not a loud high pitch sound, more like when brakes squeak. To my eye, belt looks good, not rusted on any pully area. She's got 72,000 well cared for miles. Is there anything I can do, can check to give an idea what might be going on? Any thoughts would be great.
Your Jeep is an 05 which the 05&06 are known to have squeaking noises caused by the bearing on the OPDA.