TJ stereo help

Ok guys having some issues with my stereo. I put a new Kenwood head unit in because the last unit the speakers would have static come through as I turned up the tunes. Thought it was the deck and ground replaced one fixed the other. Now it still does it. I think my sound bar is connected to the left front speaker would this cause it as it would not be getting the 35 watts by 4 but 35 to front R and 35÷3 to left front and rear speakers? Also while checking my speakers I found some what the heck are these wires for. I posted pics to see if anyone recognizes it. Also some of the speakers so you could tell me if an amp is needed cause the magnets are pretty big and I don't know the wattage of the Polk momos that are installed. Thanks ahead of time for all the help.

20170520_172431.jpg

20170520_173219.jpg

20170520_172517.jpg

20170520_173243.jpg

20170520_173248.jpg

20170520_172513.jpg

The little plug is for the factory speaker. The 3.5 mm cable looks like it was an extension for something, not sure what. You don't need an amp. And at this point it would just add another piece to the puzzle. I would go through all the wiring again. Even better, replace the speaker wire so you know there isn't something amiss with any of it. What are you listening to when you are hearing the static? CD, Ipod, streaming?

Reactions: Jeepin for joy
The little plug is for the factory speaker. The 3.5 mm cable looks like it was an extension for something, not sure what. You don't need an amp. And at this point it would just add another piece to the puzzle. I would go through all the wiring again. Even better, replace the speaker wire so you know there isn't something amiss with any of it. What are you listening to when you are hearing the static? CD, Ipod, streaming?
Anything cd my phone radio it kinda sounds like a old 2 nobber radio when your tunning in a station granted it's at higher volume but it doesn't sound like overdriving a speaker or distortion. I also have to set the fader towards the front at 6 out of 15 or it does it real bad athing lower volume

Reading your op, sounds like you need to wire up the speakers correctly for a start. Running 3 speakers off one channel and one speaker off the other isn't a good idea. Not sure it will cause the static issue but it needs to be corrected either way. Does the deck have frt and rear channels or a single set?

Reading your op, sounds like you need to wire up the speakers correctly for a start. Running 3 speakers off one channel and one speaker off the other isn't a good idea. Not sure it will cause the static issue but it needs to be corrected either way. Does the deck have frt and rear channels or a single set?
It has front and back I bought it this way just figuring it out thanks for your help and I'm going to rewire the whole thing.

So, you could google that MMC460 number. That is probably the part number of the speaker. Then you'll at least know what power they are rated for. You also want to make sure you wire them up properly. ANY aftermarket radio made in the last 20 years or so should have 4 channels, so you'll want to wire the speakers up independently. Make sure you pay attention to polarity as well, or else you'll get sound cancellation.

If you really do have three speakers running on one channel, the static is probably the stereo amp clipping out. Its being over driven, and can't keep up with the current requirements of three speakers. A bad ground will hum no matter what the volume is, it just gets louder as you crank it up. Is the static worse during heavy bass sections of music?

Last edited:
So, you could google that MMC460 number. That is probably the part number of the speaker. Then you'll at least know what power they are rated for. You also want to make sure you wire them up properly. ANY aftermarket radio made in the last 20 years or so should have 4 channels, so you'll want to wire the speakers up independently. Make sure you pay attention to polarity as well, or else you'll get sound cancellation.

If you really do have three speakers running on one channel, the static is probably the stereo amp clipping out. Its being over driven, and can't keep up with the current requirements of three speakers. A bad ground will hum no matter what the volume is, it just gets louder as you crank it up. Is the static worse during heavy bass sections of music?
Tadaaaa I fixed it I did end up rewiring the soundbar speakers with higher quality wire but the problem was the 3.5mm cable was tapped into the old speaker wires why I don't know but I fixed it and now I can rock out. Thanks for all the help fellow TJ'ers.