Thinking of upgrading my stereo

1Blacktj

TJ Enthusiast
I put a whole new stereo system in my Jeep about a year and two months ago and my rear roll bar speakers are already starting to go out. I am thinking about buying an amp and new larger speakers. I am thinking of putting 5 1/4 speakers in the front with the adapter plate and 6 1/2 in the roll bar. I am also thinking of buying a 4 channel amp to help not blow out any more speakers. Thoughts??

If you go that route, @Chris has a good setup.

What's your current setup? Just curious since I'm wondering why you are blowing out your roll bar speakers.

Thanks. What lots of folks run on here for speakers is the Polk DB series. They have a high sensitivity, ~92dB and are water resistant. I'd recommend them. It's strange because Kicker makes quality speakers, though I did notice the sensitivity of the 4x6 was 88dB, leaving something to be desired.

As far as a sub, I'd consider powered subs unless you are ready to fill your trunk area with a sub enclosure and separate amp. I have a powered sub 8" PS-8 by Rockford Fosgate. They take up less room. I've also seen recently a 10" powered sub, but can't recall the name as it was not a well-known brand.

As far as head unit, I'd suggest something like a marine head unit because they are water resistant and have a white background and black letters, which is much better for seeing the face of your head unit with the top and doors off. Convertibles often use these types of head units as well. When the time comes, just find out what you don't like about the Kenwood head unit, throw your findings on the forum and decide on something else.

The Polk DB is what I am getting I do know that and eventually I will end up getting a marine head unit. The kickers worked fine for about a year but just recently it seems like all of them, even in the dash, have started to distort and started to sound like they're trying to blow. I am hoping if I get an amp, I can play my music louder without having to worry about anything.

The Polk DB is what I am getting I do know that and eventually I will end up getting a marine head unit. The kickers worked fine for about a year but just recently it seems like all of them, even in the dash, have started to distort and started to sound like they're trying to blow. I am hoping if I get an amp, I can play my music louder without having to worry about anything.
I think the issue there would be signal. Clean mosfet amps can send clean signals that reduce distortion, though speaker sensitivity plays a big role in how much signal is required to produce dB. So you want clean mosfet power with higher sensitivity speakers (db in the 90+ range).

I know nothing about audio to be honest. When I bought my speakers, I bought them cause they had good reviews and I thought kicker was a reputable brand so I have no clue what you mean haha.

I recently got a new headunit and speakers i went with a kenwood HU (KMM-BT322U ) I like it and for speakers i got the polks that everyone loves. they are awesome i just need some bass so im gonna add a powered sub to the mix for them lows

I’ll have to look into that thanks! I’m really itching to spend some money on my jeep I got so much I wanna do just not enough money. But that’s the only thing from holding us all back from having a crazy jeep

See the main problem I’m having is that I replaced my stock speakers (which were blown when I got the jeep) about a year and a half ago and they’re already starting to go bad again. Would having an amp powering the 4 speakers help that?

you will probably not need an amp with a decently powered head unit, the polk speakers run very efficient. It is funny with the TJ the polks work best, but in the JK world everyone does the "Kicker" upgrade.

an amp is not going to help a blown speaker, other things could be they got wet. With a less efficient speaker you need to provide more power to hear them. That could have contributed to the degradation of the speaker.

with a Polk speaker running at 92db efficiency, it will be louder using less power. So lets say a head unit is pushing out 22 watts per channel, the polk speakers will be louder at the same volume level than the kickers will be. I am not saying you can't use an amp but I know many here find they do not need one, even with the doors off.

Reactions: JMT
do the speakers first, you may find your current head unit is fine....If you want to go further make sure you get a head unit with sub woofer rca pre-outs in the back (most have them). Adding a powered sub will really wake up the system and is not hard at all.

Reactions: JMT