TJ suck down winch

B00mb00m

The Church of Cutting Brakes of Atlas-Front Digs
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I see how a suck-down winch could be very useful on the steep climbs around here. Anyone have a method they have used on tj? I have seen Stu's method with warn atv, that seems ok. I like how a lot of guys use the front winch also as a suck down but usually with a tube front end.

I've done it a few times for folks. You have a lot of crap in the way to deal with.
That's what i was thinking. I saw 3 guys with it on TJs but they all had cut the front frame horns off and had no swaybars. Any pictures?

That's what i was thinking. I saw 3 guys with it on TJs but they all had cut the front frame horns off and had no swaybars. Any pictures?
The best way to do it is to cut an opening under the winch drum that has a large enough fairlead to stick your hand through. Then you just put the winch in free spool, grab the line, take it down to a hook on the axle and engage the winch. A little bump on the in cab remote lets you know it is snug when the chassis moves.

Curious if anyone else has tried doing a suck down winch on the front of their TJ. Pics?

Curious if anyone else has tried doing a suck down winch on the front of their TJ. Pics?

Here is a photo from when I built mine. My axle is far enough forward - and I also have a guard/ram mount - that I can get away with running the line straight down from the winch. I've used it quite a few times.

Jeep - Suck Down Winch - 7-23-2017 026.JPG

Go to Stu Olson's site and he has a write-up on installing a atv winch as a suck down winch.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Most of us seldom, if ever, encounter climbs where a suckdown winch is necessary. On those rare occasions wouldn't a 2" ratchet strap or two work just as well?

Ignorance here. What is a suck down winch used for?

Incorrectly, it is used to suck the front end down below ride height. Correctly, albeit still poorly, it is used to tension the winch line to hold the rig at ride height so the added weight of the front axle and tires will low down front end lift on steep stuff.