TJ towing a boat

S

Some of y'all need to get you're money up not you're funny up and live a lil that hitch on that jeep pictured wouldn't haul a pack of hot dogs to y'all's swallowing contest. Talking about legal capacity when half you're rusted out jeeps aren't road worthy to begin with obviously you can tell who reads a manual and who actually has tested the limits of these things

Makes about as much sense as towing with a tj. 🧐

S

Some of y'all need to get you're money up not you're funny up and live a lil that hitch on that jeep pictured wouldn't haul a pack of hot dogs to y'all's swallowing contest. Talking about legal capacity when half you're rusted out jeeps aren't road worthy to begin with obviously you can tell who reads a manual and who actually has tested the limits of these things

1705872141900.jpeg

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
S

I can haul anythang anywhere.

S

You may not be a fucking idiot, but you are certainly not providing any evidence to the contrary.

I regularly tow a 10’ utility trailer around town, carrying wood or a lawn mower, with my LJ without any concerns. I wouldn’t worry about towing a small aluminum boat with a 5h.p. Johnson, but anything over that is kinda nutty.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
He mentioned rust and road worthiness at the same time as quoting one of the most, if not the most, well kept and capable jeeps on this site.

I do second that. Jerry’s Jeep is pretty awesome.

🙂

The dude took offense over being politely called out for stating it’s fine towing 5,000+ pounds behind his TJ with the right hitch. And in response he takes pot shots at all of us. Swallowing contest? We all drive clapped-out rusty Jeeps? 3 posts in and he is endearing himself to the masses.

Wait - ya think it’s Custom Muffler skirting the ban?

🤔

But here’s the thing about towing - even with the right hitch or other mods. I drive an LJ. Out of the factory it is rated to tow 3,500 pounds.

As it sits, it has well over 500 horse power, and just as much torque. Behind that is a custom built 5 speed automatic transmission designed for 700 horse power. It has both a tranny cooler and a power steering cooler. Custom built, chromo shafted Dana 60 in the front and a similar full-float shaved 14 bolt out back. All being driven by a heavy Atlas transfer case. It has one ton brakes front and rear, with hydro-assist. It is stretched 12 inches on a custom, very heavy suspension and weighs quite a bit more than a stock LJ. The rear receiver hitch is set into a custom quarter inch tube steel bumper with reenforcement to the frame.

All these thing help with towing. And all this adds up to it’s current towing capacity - which is still 3,500 pounds.

Legal towing capacity is a serious thing. If you are out there towing a bunch more than that and get into an accident, or worse, one involving a personal injury, your insurance company is going to deny any claims. And the injured parties lawyer will win quite the lawsuit with the towing offender now having no insurance to cover.

”Get your money up and not your funny up.” I don’t even know what he meant by that. I stand by my assessment.

I had a Jeep Comanche 4.0L 5spd 4x4 for a few years. Great little truck. We were moving an hr away and I loaded a little bumper pull 5x10 trailer with some bulky garage items and headed out to the new place. Hit an expansion joint doing 55 and the tail started wagging the dog. I changed lanes a couple times involuntarily. Dropped a gear and luckily accelerated out of it. Had my little brother with me and he was pretty bad looking, he might have need a change of underwear.

Since then I've had a 3/4 ton and a gooseneck trailer with brakes. Changed my life.

I do second that. Jerry’s Jeep is pretty awesome.

🙂

The dude took offense over being politely called out for stating it’s fine towing 5,000+ pounds behind his TJ with the right hitch. And in response he takes pot shots at all of us. Swallowing contest? We all drive clapped-out rusty Jeeps? 3 posts in and he is endearing himself to the masses.

Wait - ya think it’s Custom Muffler skirting the ban?

🤔

But here’s the thing about towing - even with the right hitch or other mods. I drive an LJ. Out of the factory it is rated to tow 3,500 pounds.

As it sits, it has well over 500 horse power, and just as much torque. Behind that is a custom built 5 speed automatic transmission designed for 700 horse power. It has both a tranny cooler and a power steering cooler. Custom built, chromo shafted Dana 60 in the front and a similar full-float shaved 14 bolt out back. All being driven by a heavy Atlas transfer case. It has one ton brakes front and rear, with hydro-assist. It is stretched 12 inches on a custom, very heavy suspension and weighs quite a bit more than a stock LJ. The rear receiver hitch is set into a custom quarter inch tube steel bumper with reenforcement to the frame.

All these thing help with towing. And all this adds up to it’s current towing capacity - which is still 3,500 pounds.

Legal towing capacity is a serious thing. If you are out there towing a bunch more than that and get into an accident, or worse, one involving a personal injury, your insurance company is going to deny any claims. And the injured parties lawyer will win quite the lawsuit with the towing offender now having no insurance to cover.

”Get your money up and not your funny up.” I don’t even know what he meant by that. I stand by my assessment.

The new Jeep Wrangler 392 with 470HP/TQ is only rated at 3500lbs.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I’ve also towed a double axle center console and launched it, it was fine well over 5 thousand lbs it will tow that promise you if you got the right set up in the back. Hope this helps I’m pretty sure most of y’all haven’t even tried

IMO that is criminal negligence. Maybe you continue to get lucky but maybe you run out of luck someday and then you are screwed. Andy

Dislike getting into these discussions. It's another one of those "Just Because You Can Doesn't Mean You Should"

My sisters horse shoer also used to have a small cattle ranch & was taking a load of steers to the slaughter house with his Top Kick truck & gooseneck stock trailer. I don't know if he'd mis calculated his load or? but he was 2Klbs overweight. But he'd also update his truck over the years with a better transmission & larger brakes always trying to make it safer & more reliable. Then your worst nightmare happened, A car pulled out in front of him & he wasn't able to stop. The 8 year old girl in the back seat was seriously injured. Even though the driver of the car was sighted for pulling out in front of him afterwards the families lawyers took him to civil court and he lost his ranch, business & afterwords his marriage. All for being 2K lbs overweight.

I can't even imagine what it would feel like towing 4-5K lbs with a TJ or LJ. And doing 55 MPH or more with that load is even more scary.

Dislike getting into these discussions. It's another one of those "Just Because You Can Doesn't Mean You Should"

My sisters horse shoer also used to have a small cattle ranch & was taking a load of steers to the slaughter house with his Top Kick truck & gooseneck stock trailer. I don't know if he'd mis calculated his load or? but he was 2Klbs overweight. But he'd also update his truck over the years with a better transmission & larger brakes always trying to make it safer & more reliable. Then your worst nightmare happened, A car pulled out in front of him & he wasn't able to stop. The 8 year old girl in the back seat was seriously injured. Even though the driver of the car was sighted for pulling out in front of him afterwards the families lawyers took him to civil court and he lost his ranch, business & afterwords his marriage. All for being 2K lbs overweight.

I can't even imagine what it would feel like towing 4-5K lbs with a TJ or LJ. And doing 55 MPH or more with that load is even more scary.

That is absolutely horrible, all the way around. But it does validate this discussion.

S

Love when people join just to say “nUuUuUh UhHhHhH 🤓🤓🤓

Get a grip, and a real boat.