TJ towing UTV

mxz800

Instigator
Supporting Member
The other day I saw a Jeep towing one, and I started to wonder why? When you have the best rig to hit the trails why buy something that doesn't work as well?

When I had my motorcycle, I didn't go buy a moped too. So am I missing something?

I hate to say it but after seeing a couple different Polaris side x sides climbing hills like 4wd pipe buggies at speeds faster than many dirt bikes I'm pretty sure you are missing the same thing I was missing prior to last Friday.

Not that I want to get rid of my Jeeps but damn I need one of those too.

Reactions: Blondie70
Dependent on the trail, I'd rather be in a UTV. Most off-road areas in the US would be more fun in a UTV than in a TJ to me. Not everywhere is pure rock crawling.

They're awesome for trail riding and desert/dunes, but once you get into the obstacles if you run one like you would a built Jeep, you end up with a repair bill after each weekend.

I saw a few UTV’s running the sand dunes near Reeds Port Oregon and it looked like fun.
They were climbing hills that looked better suited for motorcycles. I don’t know that a Jeep would keep up with that. At least I wouldn’t try.

If I had a lot more dough, I wouldn’t mind having one of those!

Coming out of wheeling with a repair bill is pretty constant with my tj too. But I would say the comparison to a moped is pretty off. Lots of people are switching from bigger rigs to side by sides. From what I've seen, they do pretty well in the woods on rocks

Maybe they were towing it for someone else to drive. (Kids, spouse, friend)

After watching 'King of the Hammers' type racing, or even the Baha races it is clear that the new breed of UTVs are able to out run even the Ultra4 rigs in many cases. 2019 (I think) Can-Am brought their latest and greatest, swapped in better tires, and ran the piss out of the 'Hammers. They have much better acceleration, ground clearance, even fuel consumption.
Not having the constraints of being road legal helps them outperform our old school Jeeps. (Unfortunately)
The kids just don't seem to like the 'slow and steady' anymore. Other than as a work vehicle (off in the cow pastures fixing fences) I couldn't justify the cost for such a limited use vehicle, but they are impressive.

I predominately use my TJ to get to single track or deep snow. I live in an area that is heavily inundated with UTV’s, motorcycles, snowmobiles, electric bikes etc. If I were to chose something to buy and tow with my TJ it would probably be a snow machine.
If I still had my 1ton flatbed, I would choose a 20 ft jet boat.
I agree, toys aren’t cheap.