TJ tub on LJ frame

Revenant4x4

Most of you that read my posts know I want to stretch my frame, or get a new one and stretch that because my frame has some severe rot. But how hard would it be to swap my tub over to an LJ frame? If LJs weren't rare and expensive I'd buy that instead, but I plan on dropping a lot of money into suspension and drivetrain so I'd rather take out as many unnecessary costs as possible. Plus im attached to my TJ, so there's that. So question is, is it cheaper/better to swap TJ tub to LJ frame or just stretch a new TJ frame?

I'm sure @mrblaine has done this conversion plenty of times :LOL:

Of course I'm being sarcastic, but I'm certain it's easier to stretch a TJ SWB as oppose to putting a TJ tub on a LWB frame. What about all the extra length on the LWB frame?

When you stretch, you're extending the wheelbase by moving the axles out more, not extending the frame itself.

Most of you that read my posts know I want to stretch my frame, or get a new one and stretch that because my frame has some severe rot. But how hard would it be to swap my tub over to an LJ frame? If LJs weren't rare and expensive I'd buy that instead, but I plan on dropping a lot of money into suspension and drivetrain so I'd rather take out as many unnecessary costs as possible. Plus im attached to my TJ, so there's that. So question is, is it cheaper/better to swap TJ tub to LJ frame or just stretch a new TJ frame?
What are you going to do about the 15" difference in tub length?

Reactions: Chris and Lou
What are you going to do about the 15" difference in tub length?
Either use it to weld up some external storage spots or just leave it. My main concern is I can find a used LJ frame for probably around same price of a used TJ frame, and both are cheaper than a new TJ frame. My current frame has a lot of rot, and its already been repaired by the previous owner

You would have to see some of the wild posts in here to understand the humor/reference.
I dont think I've seen those ones, I do know a lot of people try to skimp out on gears, or even forget about them completely. I knew it was a joke though, I was going along with it😂

Either use it to weld up some external storage spots or just leave it. My main concern is I can find a used LJ frame for probably around same price of a used TJ frame, and both are cheaper than a new TJ frame. My current frame has a lot of rot, and its already been repaired by the previous owner
If the frame is toast, most likely the body mounts on the tub are shot making it a miserable project to do a frame swap. There are captive weld nut inside the tub that rust up and the tub mount bolts seize. If you want an lj project, find one on one of the salvage auction sites and build it the way you want. Good luck, tim

You'd have to deal with the rear 4 body mounts not lining up at all.

Reactions: Revenant4x4
If the frame is toast, most likely the body mounts on the tub are shot making it a miserable project to do a frame swap. There are captive weld nut inside the tub that rust up and the tub mount bolts seize. If you want an lj project, find one on one of the salvage auction sites and build it the way you want. Good luck, tim
I was just under the jeep today, the body mounts are good, the frame rot is just the lower half

Try to unbolt them all, I had a perfect looking tub on a yj project, 4 bolts sheared off.
I just did a second lookover, the frame rot is only just starting near the wheel wells, I could patch it but id rather just get another frame. Was thinking new, but now I'm on the west coast everything here has significantly less rust, so I could go with a used frame