TJ turns over but won't start

JackSchmuck

So I’ve got a 2002 Jeep Wrangler that for some reason won’t start. Turns over but won’t kick on. I’ve run into this issue before and for some reason taking the battery out and reinstalling it seemed to fix the issue, this time around no dice. Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

Had a similar issue, and it was my cell phone charging port I installed in place of one of the cig lighters that helped me out. I'd try to start, get just a click, look down, and instead of 12-13V, the digital readout on my cell phone charging port said 4-5V. Shifted the battery around, port read 12V and it started back up. The next time, though, it would read 12V, ignition would click, then it would read 4V. Lather-rinse-repeat from that point.

I ended up putting a voltmeter between the positive battery clamp and the lug on the starter. It was showing 5V, when it should have been reading full battery voltage. The problem ended up being the fusible link in the wire between the battery and starter. It had fried to the point where the connection mostly burned out, but not completely. I ended up finding fusible links on Amazon and splicing them into the wire, but that's really just a stopgap until I can replace the whole cable assembly, probably from https://www.custombatterycables.com/jeep-wrangler/ or someplace similar, with a slightly thicker gauge.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Check your gauges. Are only a couple coming on? and can you communicate with your pcm? if not disconnect the CKP and see if you can communicate and if you can replace the CKP.

Try this for shits and grins... turn the ignition switch on-off-on 10-12 times before turning it to the start position. Pause 2 seconds each time the switch is in the On position. Then try starting it and see what happens.

If that doesn't start it, try spraying starting fluid into the throttle body then trying to start it. If it starts you have a fuel problem, likely a bad fuel pump. If it doesn't start there's probably a bad sensor, maybe the crankshaft position sensor.

Reactions: Bird
Try this for shits and grins... turn the ignition switch on-off-on 10-12 times before turning it to the start position. Pause 2 seconds each time the switch is in the On position. Then try starting it and see what happens.

If that doesn't start it, try spraying starting fluid into the throttle body then trying to start it. If it starts you have a fuel problem, likely a bad fuel pump. If it doesn't start there's probably a bad sensor, maybe the crankshaft position sensor.
Thanks. This got me off the parking lot without a tow truck

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

I wonder why this works. Have looked at this and tried it without success.

I wonder why this works. Have looked at this and tried it without success.
After thinking about this a while, the key on and off is basically letting the fuel pump run 10 times.
Some threads have said fuel filter, pump, fuel cap, etc.

Others have said that that filter should never clog and off so it wouldn’t be intermittent.

I’m going to drop my take this fall and take a look.

That’s what I was thinking. I have a new fuel pump in and good fuel and new ECM and still no start. Cranks over. I’m waiting for the rain to stop and will check the distributor. I honestly don’t know what can be going on.

Along the way I have replaced my cps

crank shaft positioning sensor.
Lots of the same symptoms. If you try that be sure and go mopar only.
Most of the reviews for aftermarket are really bad
For sure. The PO had some weird O2 sensors that I replaced with NGK units. The CPS is new as I had on there a doorman unit. Will check the pick up which I replaced last year with an NGK unit.

For sure. The PO had some weird O2 sensors that I replaced with NGK units. The CPS is new as I had on there a doorman unit. Will check the pick up which I replaced last year with an NGK unit.
Fixed my issue today. Replaced the ignition coil and it started right away.

This worked for me today, thanks!