TJ value question

Rick Flair

Domari Nolo
Supporting Member
So, 2004 Rubicon. Every factory option. 63k miles. 5 speed.

Year old best top, quill material.

Full doors.

Zero rust. Oregon owned Jeep since new.

4” lift, Savvy Fox shocks. Does not have adjustable links or track bars but drives nice.

Currie antirock.

China front bumper but new Smittybilt X20 winch with synthetic line.

Sliders.

Warn rear bumper w/tire carrier.

LED headlights. Light bar.

33” MT’s with 4K miles on and aero beadlocks. 5 matching. New battery, fresh fluids, turn key driver.

What do you think? Also has a new BL and MML to start the tuck process.

No body damage.

The Jeep itself is where the money is.

People that want to modify as much as you have this can hurt some to try and recoup the mod money. (They like doing their own thing and learning as they go)

So IMO...just focus more on the Jeep itself and not the mods.

It's a 63k piece with Rubicon package. Color is right. Tranny is right.

12,500 -15,000 is your number IMO

Remember...a real Jeep will always hold strong money but know this....the JK and now the JL are not helping the value of the TJ.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
West coast Jeeps get higher prices. It would sell for around $16,500 where I live. If you don't care how long it sits, you could hold out for more. I sold mine (2.5 years ago) with more miles and brand new 35" tires and wheels for $14,000. Nobody even tried to negotiate my "$14,000 firm, cash only" asking price. I bought it back 6 months ago for $9,000. It was only driven an additional 1200 miles.:)

RUBI SKEL 8 25 BEST PIC.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Flair
Thanks for the replies! Yes I do agree the mods do nothing just wanted it noted.

It’s a good range for pricing. Not sure it needs to be done at this point and if so, I’ll buy another once things settle but love the Jeep so....we will see. Thanks again.

Here in the mid-west $18k or more.

Local dealer had one, stockish with 31's and over 100k miles, usual rust on the frame and starting under the tail-gate and in front of doors for $17k. Not sure what it actually sold for though. It was gone in a month.

• Wow
West Coast pricing seems pretty high, would it sell better once I move to Missouri?

I need to buy a tractor so I’d like to pay cash instead of finance it. But if my home sells for what I’ll ask, Jeep stays. Just weighing options.

Reactions: Chris
I didnt get to it fast enough, but there was a 2003 Rubicon,(tomb raider edition) had a soft top pretty much stock. The guy was asking 16k it was on Craigslist about a week, just didnt work out for me but I should have made time for it.
In my area, any TJ for sale gets a hefty price, and generally they just sit on Craigslist, they either eventually sell, get tired of all the crap and just take it off, or probably are just waiting for spring.
A case in point, a 2002 sport, ok jeep, asking $14k, then a week later $16k then a week later $18k, now its at $15k. Im not an expert but it seemed more like a $12k jeep and that, in my mind, was being very generous. You got lots of different types of folks out there.

I didnt get to it fast enough, but there was a 2003 Rubicon,(tomb raider edition) had a soft top pretty much stock. The guy was asking 16k it was on Craigslist about a week, just didnt work out for me but I should have made time for it.
In my area, any TJ for sale gets a hefty price, and generally they just sit on Craigslist, they either eventually sell, get tired of all the crap and just take it off, or probably are just waiting for spring.
A case in point, a 2002 sport, ok jeep, asking $14k, then a week later $16k then a week later $18k, now its at $15k. Im not an expert but it seemed more like a $12k jeep and that, in my mind, was being very generous. You got lots of different types of folks out there.
Allow me to shed some light on real Jeeps in the used market.

I managed used vehicles at a new car store for a few years and let me tell ya about the real Jeep vehicle.

They are the biggest pain the ass to buy at auction and or trade.
You can't buy them right for inventory and you have to bail into them with a super heavy ACV if the customer is trading...

In the United States they're far and away the #1 vehicle holding it's value based on percentage....as in percentage of it's MSRP.

That percentage will drop some now that a JL Rubicon equipped Jeep MSRP is over 60k..😯😯😯
But it will still remain #1 because it was so far out in front to begin with.

Just an FYI...
#1 Jeep Wrangler
Distantly #2 Diesel trucks
#3 VeeDub/Audi, Subaru, Newer Hyundai (2007 and up), Honda, Toyota
#4 everything else and who cares.

Back to Jeep..

The problem is they hold such strong money but it's not like it's a F-150 where you will sell it immediately. Jeep buyers are also the pickiest buyers. Kind of funny considering before 2003 you had a few packages and nary equipment. Yet the color could be wrong, the wrong top, the tranny, modified or not which opens another can of worms good or bad..

The private market is no different than the dealer. The Jeep could sell in 5 minutes or 5 weeks. You just don't know

I tend to agree;
Today, actually a few minutes ago, I was checking craigslist for a TJ, found one that was just put on today, I thought jeez that jeep looks kind of familiar, it was because, it was the first jeep we looked at when we decided we wanted a jeep. In October,2020 almost 4 months ago, same jeep only this time it is more, the girl raised the price another $1k. Nice jeep 4 cylinder, and that is why we passed originally.
I'm not saying any thing about the jeep, its the market I am commenting on. At least in our area, and my take is that, the Jeeps (TJs) are spendy but they are not flying off the shelf. It is almost like, one guy puts a heck of price on his and every one wants the same, money, their jeep is as good as the other guy. I have not found any one who wants to sell enough to negotiate, no one wants to come off their "firm" price. It is very interesting, and it for sure is not the same as buying an f 150