TJ vs LJ exhaust parts

freedom_in_4low

I'm a rooster illusion
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
A previous owner installed a Banks Monster cat-back on my LJ. It drones like crazy and actually gave me a headache Saturday so I hate it and I want it out of there like yesterday. I had been interested in the Walker Quiet Flow for the TJ, but Walker's website lists a 21456 muffler and 54227 tailpipe both for "00-06 Wrangler 4.0 Except 04-06 Unlimited", and doesn't have a listing for an Unlimited so I'm not even sure it doesn't fit and they just don't list it because they didn't verify fitment themselves.

1612211212716.png

The Banks kit uses a 2.5" tailpipe that won't work with an OEM-sized 2.25" muffler outlet like the Walker, so I'll need to replace both or rig it up with a reducer, which I'm not wild about.

RockAuto lists nothing for an LJ.

So, my question is - where is the length added for the exhaust system on the LJ? Are the mufflers the same and the tailpipe is different? Or is the tailpipe the same and the muffler has 10" extra canister, 10" extra pipe, or did they do something in between and make it so neither fit directly? Would it be easy enough to buy both the parts for the standard wheelbase and add in a 10" section of pipe (with one end expanded) and an extra clamp between the muffler and tailpipe? The Mopar parts book is useless because Mopar sold them as muffler & tailpipe in one piece.

1612211147821.png

1612211166653.png

I'd really like to deal with this myself with bolt on parts if I can before I take it to a shop.

I'm pretty sure the tailpipe is the variable. A LJ and TJ use the same position for the engine, trans, transfer. And the muffler fits alongside the trans area, so it should be located the same in both models. The LJ is stretched behind the front seats and has a longer space in front and also behind rear axle location. So as long as you can get a muffler that fits the pipe diameter and enters/exits the same it should bolt right in.

- These are the ramblings of an old man. Your milage may vary. - 😉

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I'm pretty sure the tailpipe is the variable. A LJ and TJ use the same position for the engine, trans, transfer. And the muffler fits alongside the trans area, so it should be located the same in both models. The LJ is stretched behind the front seats and has a longer space in front and also behind rear axle location. So as long as you can get a muffler that fits the pipe diameter and enters/exits the same it should bolt right in.

- These are the ramblings of an old man. Your milage may vary. - 😉

that makes sense to me. Maybe I'll just order the muffler and hit the parts store for a 2.25-2.5" reducer, and cut the banks tailpipe where I need to. Or do what I said earlier and just cut a 10" section of 2.25" with 1 end expanded so I can fill the gap with a new stock style tailpipe. I have yet to remove the chrome tip from the end of the tailpipe but from looking at what's there, it looks like it hangs down farther than the factory tailpipe does and I don't like that very much either.

In most of these scenarios I've run into it has helped to look at my TJ, but since the LJ isn't stock and the TJ is a 99 (pre 2000 exhaust redesign) it leaves too many variables unanswered.

A previous owner installed a Banks Monster cat-back on my LJ. It drones like crazy and actually gave me a headache Saturday so I hate it and I want it out of there like yesterday. I had been interested in the Walker Quiet Flow for the TJ, but Walker's website lists a 21456 muffler and 54227 tailpipe both for "00-06 Wrangler 4.0 Except 04-06 Unlimited", and doesn't have a listing for an Unlimited so I'm not even sure it doesn't fit and they just don't list it because they didn't verify fitment themselves.

View attachment 222822

The Banks kit uses a 2.5" tailpipe that won't work with an OEM-sized 2.25" muffler outlet like the Walker, so I'll need to replace both or rig it up with a reducer, which I'm not wild about.

RockAuto lists nothing for an LJ.

So, my question is - where is the length added for the exhaust system on the LJ? Are the mufflers the same and the tailpipe is different? Or is the tailpipe the same and the muffler has 10" extra canister, 10" extra pipe, or did they do something in between and make it so neither fit directly? Would it be easy enough to buy both the parts for the standard wheelbase and add in a 10" section of pipe (with one end expanded) and an extra clamp between the muffler and tailpipe? The Mopar parts book is useless because Mopar sold them as muffler & tailpipe in one piece.

View attachment 222820

View attachment 222821

I'd really like to deal with this myself with bolt on parts if I can before I take it to a shop.

@freedom_in_4low did you ever manage to find a walker exhaust for your LJ? looking for the same, but confused as none of the websites list Unlimited as an option.

@freedom_in_4low did you ever manage to find a walker exhaust for your LJ? looking for the same, but confused as none of the websites list Unlimited as an option.
Yes!...sort of. I bought the parts listed for a TJ, and went to AutoZone for an extra clamp and a length of 2-1/4" exhaust tubing, already expanded on one end. I test fit it before I cut, but the extension ended up (somewhat unsurprisingly) pretty much exactly 10", between the muffler and the tailpipe.

Yes!...sort of. I bought the parts listed for a TJ, and went to AutoZone for an extra clamp and a length of 2-1/4" exhaust tubing, already expanded on one end. I test fit it before I cut, but the extension ended up (somewhat unsurprisingly) pretty much exactly 10", between the muffler and the tailpipe.
Thanks, going to pull the trigger on this as I have a feeling the noise I hear when going over bumps is my exhaust banging against something — plus I know the hanger is rusted out and ready to fall off so it's time for this upgrade.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
This was covered some time ago. These are the "notes" I cut and pasted from a previous thread.

The Lj muffler is actually about 4” longer than the Tj version.

That's exactly what the walker is, if you want measurements just look at the specs of the 17197 and you will see what I mean. Walker 17197

Exterior Length (in.):28.000 in.
Overall Length (in):36.500 in.
Thickness (in):4.250 in.
Width (in):9.750 in.

2.5" inlet and outlet

This was covered some time ago. These are the "notes" I cut and pasted from a previous thread.
Thanks @LukesfirstJeep very helpful. I just cancelled the order and now need to check this out. All my searches for a LJ exhaust netted out with a performance setup ... nothing for a stock setup, but looks like thanks to you I found what I'm looking for. Now to figure out which tailpipe section to get, still get the TJ one and hope the muffler shop has a extension? 🤔

Just for reference, the TJ muffler I used is stainless steel and direct bolt-in, while this is an aluminized muffler with universal connections that has to be welded or clamped in. You could do it that way if you want, but it wouldn't be my first choice. The stock tubing was also 2.25 not 2.5.

Last edited: