TJ will not turn off and cluster stays on

Gabecox

My 2003 Rubicon suddenly would not turn off. The cluster stays on and the engine runs but all other electronics are off. I replaced the ignition switch and the actuator but it did nothing. My brake lights are staying on and my passenger taillight has issues such as not turn signaling and no reverse light. I figure it has something to do with wiring. It is not deisiling and it was working perfectly until it didn't.

Youve likely got a bad switch or wiring issue in there

Id pull the fuse for the circuit, and disassemble the column, pull that switch and order a new one

Youve likely got a bad switch or wiring issue in there

Id pull the fuse for the circuit, and disassemble the column, pull that switch and order a new one

I replace the switch already and the fuse. I'm really looking to find an area where the wiring might be bad or there might be a bad ground?

You will have to trace the circuit wires manually and look for a problem, that means opening looms if/when required

It has to be crossing into another circuit somewhere to derive power if u have replaced the switch, and when off, still is on

A shortcut can be grabbing looms and wiggling to help ID the bad spot

You will have to trace the circuit wires manually and look for a problem, that means opening looms if/when required

It has to be crossing into another circuit somewhere to derive power if u have replaced the switch, and when off, still is on

By pulling random fuses and a little intuition, I figured out that it is crossing with my brake line somewhere. That is the brake lights. If I disconnect the fuse to the brake lights, the ignition works as normal. Once I turn the car on, the brake lights are permanently on even though the fuse is not in. I'm still having a little trouble locating where the lines are crossing though.

Reactions: CreepinDeth
pull the filament bulbs out of your brakelights and look in the sockets. Then see if its all working fine until you put the bulbs back in. Do them 1 at a time

This is a common point for both circuits.
Check the wiring there as well, be sure its not frayed or strands crossing over
Just for shits n giggles

I dont have a full schematic in front of me to see where else they could intersect, so that will require you to troubleshoot and diagnose on your own

I disconnected and reconnected the tail lights one by one, they are LEDs. Nothing changed. I have looked under the car and under the hood for bad connections or bad plugs and couldn't find any and I jiggled all the wiring harnesses underneath the cluster. My brake light switch being disconnected still did nothing. My passenger side turn signal still does not work properly and the brake lights stay on whenever the car is running.