TJ wiring question

Scotiarebel

So I was looking around at my tj today and noticed a wiring connector behind the grill but in front of the air conditioning condenser. That got me wondering some more. My tj didn't come with rear window wiper and defroster either. But it's on there. I figure that someone backed into something and broke the back window. My question is does Jeep have a general wiring harness that they use in all models ? I would think that the one behind the grill would be for driving lights that mine didn't come with. And if that's the case would the wiring for the rear window defroster be back there somewhere?

I read somewhere that all models "x" and above (x, sport, Sahara, unlimited and Rubi) were prewired with wiring and a switch for fogs. I'm pretty sure my wiring is under the fenders, but I also have that clip in the grille, and don't know what it's. The hardtop wiring bundle includes defrost, wipers, and window juice. If it was there you'd see it running back on the drivers side. It's in plain sight.

Reactions: Chris
Yes, they use one wiring harness. For example, my '97 TJ came with both electrical connectors for the 32RH automatic transmission even though it came with the 5-speed manual transmission. Which made it easy when I converted from the 5-speed to the 32RH automatic, I only needed to plug in those connectors and change the PCM for it to work properly.

Yep, your TJ is basically pre-wired for everything.

So if you wanted to install factory fog lights, you'd find that the factory wiring harness plug for the fog lights is already there, even if your TJ didn't come with fog lights.

Most likely the wire connector behind the grill is for the outside temperature sensor. At least that's how it is on my 04 Sahara. The fog light wiring would be in the same wire loom as the blinker and side marker lights.