to buy or not to buy

thinking of buying this 98 TJ six-cylinder owner says there's a couple of small problems number one small oil leak and number two when it's it's in second gear when is up to 50 mph (it is an automatic ) it jumps a little bit so wondering if that's a transmission problem or tune up problem any help appreciated

This decision needs to be made with price in mind. Also need to inspect inside the frame for rust flakes. Oil leak is not a major issue if it's just a seal. It's probably due for a rear seal. The tranny (if a 42RLE) has been known to grab like that. Make sure it's running Mopar fluid and there's some other things the guys in the forum can tell you about. If it's a great price and rust free, then it's a great start IMO. You're getting a 4.0 which is good. Just keep in mind, it's the first year of theTJ so some issues can be expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Michael Buenconsejo
Wasn't 97 the first year?
Yeah, 97 was first.

Oil leak where? It may just be the PCV valve. If so they go bad all the time. Cheap fix. Well known

The other issue sounds like tranny. How many miles are on it? (not worried about the engine but the tranny).

What's the price point? If it's got a couple things wrong with it and you can isolate them then you have something to bargain with!

Reactions: Michael Buenconsejo
so guy asking 4500 has 220,000 miles jeep came from mainland 3 years ago owner is third so not sure where on mainland. so some surface rust and bonnet is faded but looks good....interior had all carpet SAHARA model. I have 1997 w/ four angry squirrels I had trans rebuilt for 2500 so not anxious to do that again!

maybe I dont need another jeep just gotta get my seats back in and DRIVE
IMG_4330.JPG
IMG_4310.JPG

IMG_4328.JPG