To TJ or JK that is the question

What do we get if we answer the BONUS question?

I drove both, I got a TJ. Cost was an issue but not the only issue. I wanted a bulletproof engine. That's the main reason I got the 4.0. I also wanted to do the maintenance and mods myself. I have 5 kids and 1 wife (LOL)! Everyone likes to ride in the TJ. Everyone except 1 person has ridden in the TJ at the same time (but don't tell). And don't ask how. I'm very pleased with my decision. I have no payments!

The JK drove smoother due to being longer and wider. I did not plan to go offroad until I did. The TJ has better offroad breakover angles due to SWB, though the skid plate is still too low. It is my DD. I smile the whole time, even on bad days!

It's really about what you want to do with your Jeep. If I didn't like to go offroad and I was hauling kids all the time and going to the grocery store and had $35K I would get a JKU. If I liked to go offroad and only hauled kids occasionally and only had $15K I would get an unmolested TJ.

I'd always advise people to not get themselves in trouble financially. Your life will be much better without those stresses. My .02c

I know a couple guys who own JKU's and I don't think I'd ever buy one. The interior isn't durable at all (everything is cheap plastic) and looks terrible after a year. I also hate the way the doors open (or don't open). With the TJ, the doors are nice and big and swing out 90 degrees. With the JK, the tiny doors barely open before the strap stops it and since it isn't like a normal car door with doorstops, the door will swing closed if you don't hold it open. Really annoying. Also, they just don't feel very Jeep-like to drive.

I found this JK Pros and Cons at another forum
Not sure how accurate number 4 Pros is though.
Number 2 in the cons is no longer an issue with newer 3.6.

Pros;
1) Wider, more comfortable cockpit.
2) Very easy to fit big tires with minimal lift. A 2.5" budget boost will get you on 35s. I had to do a 6" long arm to do that with my TJ.
3) Stronger frame than any jeep.
4) Bigger, better axles than other jeeps.
5) Lots of room in the trunk compared to TJs. I have a 40" tire in the back of my 2-door with room to spare.
6) No need for steering box skid, and factory skids will hold up to a lot of wheeling.
7) Comes from the factory with a high-output alternator.
8) Mirrors don't flop around and change every time you slam the doors.
9) You get e-lockers with the rubi, and Brake-Lock difs with the sport.
10) Much longer control arms from the factory than other jeeps, eliminating the need for long arms with most applications.
11) Short, swept-down hood gives the JK more visibility than other Jeeps.
12) Gas tank is no longer hanging off the ass of the Jeep.
13) JKs are easier to get into because you don't have to step over the tub like TJs.
14) Better storage in consoles, glove box, and rear floor compartment .

CONS;
1) Sheet Metal is much thinner than other Jeeps.
2) 3.8L engine is a little underpowered for the package.
3) Heavy, the heaviest wrangler ever.
4) Stupid, annoying electronic gizmos like TPMS and ESP that have to be disabled when you modify your Jeep. Easy to do though.
5) Automatics NEED an aftermarket auxiliary transmission cooler installed ASAP.
6) Factory u-joints have inferior half-clips that are prone to failure.
7) If you wheel hard, evap canister needs a skid installed or to be relocated.
8) Tail lights stick out the corner of the jeep, and are very prone to trail damage.
9) 5 on 5 lug pattern is not compatible with other Jeeps.
10) As with all Jeeps I have ever owned, the headlights suck.

This is really really helpful!!! Thanks

My personal opinion is if you like working on your own vehicles, the TJ is the way to go. The JK is FAR more car-like, computerized, and far more complex in pretty much everything possible. The JK's headlights are even controlled a computer bus, no simple circuits on a JK at all. I had a friend's new JK at my house to install rocker guards which I can install in 2 hours or less on a TJ. The JK's double-layer body makes it quieter inside but things that are simple bolt-on jobs on the TJ become far more complex. Her rocker guards were a nightmare due to the additional issues of requiring nutserts set into the tub's outer skin layer. No simple bolt-on like on a TJ. I didn't finish her rocker guards until the next day, that's when I stopped offering to help anyone with a JK unless it's maybe just a CB antenna problem.

Yes that is a big point. I definitely would not work on a JKU. I won't be doing very technical rock climbing and will be with the family a good portion of the time.

I have owned a 2012 JKU and now an 05 TJ, Yes the JKU is more comfortable for the front passengers but the rear is terrible for anyone other than a toddler on a long trip. The radiator went twice in 2 years, heated seat went in 3rd year, 2 radios, AC evaporates went, both tops would at times leak....just a jeep thing? not when you drop 30K +++ on a new one.

Traded the JKU on my wifes new car, kept her explorer for ski trips with the family and 6 months later got the TJ to be my DD (except long trips)

I have both, and really like them both. The jku with 3 kids is great, the lj not so much. The jku 3.6 I really like, and that's saying alot, I hate v6 engines. The LJ I'm not afraid to use for its intended purpose, the new one though can hold its own in alot of places, and the radiator thing is blown out of proportion in the new ones, and so is the top leak issue.

I won't get rid of either, but if I had to choose, with 3 kids, my jkur is gonna win. Is just more practical, and will go anywhere the lj will, as soon as I get my metal metal cloak gamechanger lift on and don't worry so much about scratches....

For now, they get along great!
20170823_181836.jpg

I’ve been driving a TJ every day since 2005. Today, I have a soon to be 1 year old son, and another baby on the way.

The TJ sucks as a family vehicle. It’s simply a pain in the ass to get a car seat and a baby in there. And I haven’t even tried getting 2 babies in there yet.

By myself, hauling groceries is another pain in the ass. It sucks more when the wife is with me.

The TJ is a great weekend vehicle for the family. Something to do on the weekend for fun. It’s not a great family vehicle. At all.

The reason why I haven’t gotten rid of mine is:
I don’t want another car payment.
I don’t want to trade my TJ in for a JKU.
I want a truck, but not willing to pay a car payment.
I love my TJ.

Thanks for your feedback. It's a difficult decision. My son is 22 months, we do lots of day trips together. So easy to jump in the F150 and zoom off. If I got the TJI know I would want to drive it more than just on weekend with him that's why I'm considering the JKU.

I currently have a monthly truck payment, if I get a TJ I would be adding another payment as I would get at least a $20k vehicle. If I get the JKU I would get rid of the truck and just have one payment and one vehicle.

Reactions: Starrs
Just so you know, with the right upgrades, a TJ/LJ can ride as good or better than a JK/JKU. It is all about how you address the issue. The right suspension and shock/tire combination (proper PSI in the tires you have). Suspension seats that recline if you need them too. Longevity and a proven motor is a plus. Proper gearing for the tire size you select. It really is about doing it right.

I can see trading payments, however, would you find yourself still needing the benefits of the truck (hauling, loads to dump, building/landscaping supplies, etc)? If not, you are back to drive them both and see. The difficulty comes in where you do not know the existing condition of either vehicle. They could both have a small lift (or tall lift), but, is it a good one? Are the components matched well? Test driving either would get you a general idea but not definitive. Either could be set up poorly. Which would sway your decision.

If you want to get an idea of how a well set up TJ/LJ rides, get in touch with a local club and see if you can go out for some behind the wheel time with someone that everyone feels has done it right. Same for the JKU. Researching a major purchase is always the downside. Especially if there is a time frame involved. Since there are no longer any brand new TJ/LJs (weeping tears :( ), a straight up comparison will be more of a challenge. Now you are back to which one will fulfill your overall needs and capacity requirements.

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

Namaste,

Allen

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback. It's a difficult decision. My son is 22 months, we do lots of day trips together. So easy to jump in the F150 and zoom off. If I got the TJI know I would want to drive it more than just on weekend with him that's why I'm considering the JKU.

I currently have a monthly truck payment, if I get a TJ I would be adding another payment as I would get at least a $20k vehicle. If I get the JKU I would get rid of the truck and just have one payment and one vehicle.
My vote would be to jump into just 1 vehicle. For your needs the JKU seems more practical. I love my tj, but my situation is unlike yours. Or if you want another payment get a tj haha.

I have both, and really like them both. The jku with 3 kids is great, the lj not so much. The jku 3.6 I really like, and that's saying alot, I hate v6 engines. The LJ I'm not afraid to use for its intended purpose, the new one though can hold its own in alot of places, and the radiator thing is blown out of proportion in the new ones, and so is the top leak issue.

I won't get rid of either, but if I had to choose, with 3 kids, my jkur is gonna win. Is just more practical, and will go anywhere the lj will, as soon as I get my metal metal cloak gamechanger lift on and don't worry so much about scratches....

For now, they get along great! View attachment 27235

Hey Jeep-Friends, with two kids (4,5/1,5) my LJ was fine for me. But now kid no. 3 is on its way and i must sell the unicorn. A LJ Rubicon is so rare in germany that i only saw 1 in over 10 years... and that was mine. with 3 kids the LJ has got not enough room on the back seat. i could buy a granny..... but thats not the jeep-thing i wanna have. So, don't kill me, i will buy a JKU. With a little bit of luck the prices will fall when the JL is on the market here in germany available.

Many greetings from overseas and a friendly jeep-wave :)

Reactions: StG58 and MikeM
I own a TJ and a JKU also. The JKU is my wifes daily driver. The TJ is just for weekend use. On most weekends during warmer months we are always in the TJ with no top or doors going somewhere. The TJ is has a 4 inch lift with 33's and it rides just as good as her JKU. The only two areas where I prefer the JK over the TJ are longer road trips(mainly because the TJ has no cruise control) and if we have passengers.

If i had little ones, it certainly be a JKU.

First thing i did when i got my TJ was remove the back seat.
I do however prefer the more rugged look of a TJ over anything past 06 :)