Tonneau Cover

KimsJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
I was going to have hubby build me a wooden cover for the back of the Jeep, but then I saw these tonneau covers. I know it wouldn't be as secure as a wood cover, but it would be easier and faster then waiting for hubby to get around to making one. LOL

Because I want to keep my top on, but down, am I able to open these up from the sides to get access? Should I just wait for the Hubs to get around to making a wooden one? LOL Just thought of something else. If I have hubby make a wooden one, I wonder how that will affect putting the top down? I guess I wouldn't mind that it sits on top of the wood cover, that way I would still be able to use my drawer in the trunk, but I wonder if I have to take in account for the soft top bars to go down on the sides? I've only had my top down once and I didn't really pay attention to how it went down. It was only partially down so I could install my Alien Shade.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/11152_001X_PG.htm
What's your guy's thoughts on this?

The soft top bars will get in the way and you leave your top hanging out ole willy nilly. You could, however, get those quick dissconnect thingys for the soft top frame brackets and just remove the soft top and run the soft tonneau when you feel the urge. Keeps stuff out of sight, out of mind. Pair it up with a windjammer and it makes for a pretty comfy ride during the summer months.
DSCN0630.JPG

Reactions: psrivats and RussTJ
The soft top bars will get in the way and you leave your top hanging out ole willy nilly. You could, however, get those quick dissconnect thingys for the soft top frame brackets and just remove the soft top and run the soft tonneau when you feel the urge. Keeps stuff out of sight, out of mind. Pair it up with a windjammer and it makes for a pretty comfy ride during the summer months.
View attachment 87264

I think I saw on Quadretec site that one of the tonneau covers goes over the top, but because of my drawer, I'm thinking that may not work. I really wanted to leave to top on, do to the fact I drive to work at 1am in the morning. Guess I will have just where a jacket on the cooler mornings. LOL

Oh, and I was looking at those windjammers and people were giving me a hard time about them. LOL I did buy a Alien shade for the top though. I may invest in the windjammer too. LOL I do kind of like that it cuts the wind down more. Yours doesn't look bad!

Technically, you can put the tonneau on with the soft top all the way retracted, but you would have to fold it down in such a way that the bars and top tuck into the tub allowing for enough clearance for the tonneau to attach, which would not allow you to pull out your drawer.

The windjammer makes a huge difference on the freeway, and doesn't obstruct your rear view when you want to back up. When I have the soft top up I just unstrap the windjammer half way and fold it down which provides a nice pocket behind the seat for gear. Also keeps my pup from licking the back of my neck, lol!

Reactions: DrDmoney
Technically, you can put the tonneau on with the soft top all the way retracted, but you would have to fold it down in such a way that the bars and top tuck into the tub allowing for enough clearance for the tonneau to attach, which would not allow you to pull out your drawer.

Ok, thanks. I may just break down and take it off. I guess if I get the windjammer, that would help on the cooler mornings.

Do you have to have another tail gate bar with a cover or do I just use the one that is on my soft top?

The tonneau should come with a tailgate bar, but you can use your factory one as well.

The tonneau should come with a tailgate bar, but you can use your factory one as well.

Ok, so far I haven't seen that they come with one. I looked on eBay and Quardratec so far. What is yours? Smittybuilt, Ruded ridge, etc??

Course, I think I saw a package deal with a windjammer too, I will have to go look again. LOL

Ok, your windjammer a Best top too? I may go with a cheaper model jammer, but get the best top deck cover. It say's it works with the soft top on. (I know I won't have function of my drawer, but figured I could get into it from the side of the cover. Possibly?

Yes, both Bestop. It was a package deal my wife got me for my birthday many moons ago. Gaining access from the sides is not easy but doable. The sides have that plastic strip like your soft top side windows do to fold into the groove of the tub.

Reactions: KimsJeep
Ok, I found a Bestop cover and there are actually 2 different kinds. One for the factory soft top and one for the Bestop Supertop, which is what I have.

It is made so one can leave the soft top bars on, but you still have to take the actual top off of it. The only other thing that kind of sucks about taking the top off, is the fact that you now have to find somewhere to store it. LOL

Boy, these Jeeps can be troublesome sometimes. LOL :D

Also be aware that when new, the tonneau cover is a PITA to get on the first time, it can be very tight, just like a new soft top.

Does the Supertop have a difference frame configuration than a factory soft top?

Yah, it has the bar that folds in half to make the sunroof. Other then that, I don't really know what else would be different. I do know that for the Supertop version, you have to take the top off the frame. In the non super top version, they show rolling the top up and leaving it on. That is what I really wanted to do, but with my drawer and the sounds of the descriptions of the 2 different tops, I won't be able to do that.

Also be aware that when new, the tonneau cover is a PITA to get on the first time, it can be very tight, just like a new soft top.

Yah, I know all about the new soft top installation. LOL Nice thing is, it is getting warmer and warmer everyday, so by the time I make up my mind, buy the cover, then wait for it to get here, it should be nice enough to lay it out in the sun for a few hours before installation.

Right now I just don't know what I want to do. Spend the 100 bucks on the Bestop made for my Supertop top, or cheap out and get a Smitty built or something. LOL I kind of want the Bestop, just because it is what I have for the soft top but, if I got the cheaper one, I could get a windjammer too. LOL

From what I can gather, they offer 3 choices (hard top, factory soft top, Supertop) because they are fitted in the rear to allow room for the folded up soft top. If you follow this procedure, you can get your soft top to tuck pretty tight into the tub, then the tonneau would strap over the top hiding it below.

http://home.exetel.com.au/jeeps/Removingthetop.htm

The Supertop looks to have a different frame than a factory top, so they must make accommodations for its design. Hard top has nothing back there, so it's a tighter fitting tonneau me thinks.