Top Gun / Fighter Jets

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
Loved the movie way back, love the aircraft-

Tell me your stories guys- who’s wrenched on ‘em, been up in them, tell me what it is like-

It has to be some kind of amazing-

Never leave your wingman,
Andy G

I saw some older ones from WWII recently. Which was really cool. These were incredible, I can only imagine what current ones are like.

PXL_20220507_185036164.jpg

PXL_20220507_185106292.jpg

PXL_20220507_163906776.jpg

PXL_20220507_162428049.jpg

PXL_20220507_162700438.jpg

Yes, really good. Highly recommend.

One of the reviews or interviews with one of the actresses was pretty impressive- She remarked on how much passion that he put into what he does and how much he cared that the movie goers got a great experience- He is a pretty accomplished actor and I really do subscribe to the thought that quality is never an accident-

Tom has had a really good run- I don’t think he’s really ever had a real dud-

The P 51 Mustang is his personal airplane

I sat down on the bench in Durango Colorado and I saw a memorial stone with the date and it got my attention so I looked it up

A local business owner had gotten his hands on one of those and hired a local pilot to help him deal with it-

They took it out like on the Fourth of July and I guess it torque rolled when they go on the throttle and drove them right into the ground-

It was a pretty interesting story because he had received some criticism for updating the avionics and things like that in the plane just to make it a little better to work with in today’s world

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
That was centennial airport! The b29 super fortress "doc" was in town.

I didnt even know there was an airport there.

For four years we lived within 4 miles of COS and would drive up and park when they were doing the air shows. Saw some crazy stuff done with an F22. It was appallingly long.

Reactions: rasband
I didnt even know there was an airport there.

For four years we lived within 4 miles of COS and would drive up and park when they were doing the air shows. Saw some crazy stuff done with an F22. It was appallingly long.
One of the biggest surprises to me was how big those things actually are- They had a Tomcat here at an airshow and I was just astounded

We also have an SR 71 blackbird parked at the space and rocket center- That is a great great story to have been developed in the 60s With all custom machined parts- Way ahead of its time

The very first one that was put out on the tarmac in front of all the congressmen and everybody behind the project would not turn over because the oil viscosity was too thick- They jumped it off with a Buick Wildcat- Sounds like something out of a Leslie Nielsen movie

Last edited:
One of the reviews or interviews with one of the actresses was pretty impressive- She remarked on how much passion that he put into what he does and how much he cared that the movie goers got a great experience- He is a pretty accomplished actor and I really do subscribe to the thought that quality is never an accident-

Tom has had a really good run- I don’t think he’s really ever had a real dud-

The P 51 Mustang is his personal airplane

I sat down on the bench in Durango Colorado and I saw a memorial stone with the date and it got my attention so I looked it up

A local business owner had gotten his hands on one of those and hired a local pilot to help him deal with it-

They took it out like on the Fourth of July and I guess it torque rolled when they go on the throttle and drove them right into the ground-

It was a pretty interesting story because he had received some criticism for updating the avionics and things like that in the plane just to make it a little better to work with in today’s world

Go see it and see it with the best screen and sound system you can.

Quite the story on the business owner.

Mrs App was really impressed when she found out Tom could really fly. I posted the video I showed her in the other Top Gun thread.

While deployed to Saudi one year, I got to put all the weapons safety pins in on an F-14 while working end-of-runway (EOR) duties one evening. It was a big aircraft compared to my squadrons F-16’s.

The rest of my career was F-16’s (Flightline, Weapons Standardization Section and Armament Shop)

I worked for a few years as a Joint Terminal Attack Controller. mostly in training but some advisor stuff overseas that I cant really expound on. I've worked F18s F16s A10s AV8Bs, with live ordnance and about a total of an hour overall with an F22 and an F35 working dry.

That's not including all the rotary wing stuff, or the foreign stuff.

I need to see this one in theaters.

I had written off some of the later Mission impossible movies just because I thought he was past his prime, man was I wrong, They are pretty good!

Reactions: Apparition
Flew A4, F8, and A3 back in the early '70s. The advancement in engine output has been astronomical since those aircraft. 1-1 thrust to weight ratio was not common till the F4 and then only in burner. Today they are 1-1 or better without using the burner and some will cruise above mach 1. The F8 would break the sound barrier in burner but drank JP in huge gulps to do it. The A4E was the most fun to fly as it was light with close to a 1-1 power ratio because of its weight. Most memorable flight was solo in an A4E in Hawaii. There were enormous cumulus build ups and flying among them was a magical experience, like flying amongst a bunch of marshmallows

Will see the movie this afternoon but hear the flying scenes are spectacular and REAL, no computer graphics.

Navy started Top Gun because they were losing F4's attacked by Mig 21's. The F4 was a high powered airplane but very high wing loading made them a dog in a traditional turning dog fight. They learned to fight the F4 using it's power in the vertical and started Top Gun to pass those lessons along to the fleet squadrons. Top Gun used A4E's without wing tanks to save weight and drag because they were so maneuverable. Trained in the F8 next door to Top Gun. Didn't get any closer than that however.

Flew A4, F8, and A3 back in the early '70s. The advancement in engine output has been astronomical since those aircraft. 1-1 thrust to weight ratio was not common till the F4 and then only in burner. Today they are 1-1 or better without using the burner and some will cruise above mach 1. The F8 would break the sound barrier in burner but drank JP in huge gulps to do it. The A4E was the most fun to fly as it was light with close to a 1-1 power ratio because of its weight. Most memorable flight was solo in an A4E in Hawaii. There were enormous cumulus build ups and flying among them was a magical experience, like flying amongst a bunch of marshmallows

Will see the movie this afternoon but hear the flying scenes are spectacular and REAL, no computer graphics.

Navy started Top Gun because they were losing F4's attacked by Mig 21's. The F4 was a high powered airplane but very high wing loading made them a dog in a traditional turning dog fight. They learned to fight the F4 using it's power in the vertical and started Top Gun to pass those lessons along to the fleet squadrons. Top Gun used A4E's without wing tanks to save weight and drag because they were so maneuverable. Trained in the F8 next door to Top Gun. Didn't get any closer than that however.

That is something to be proud of , as the song says.

we were talking about it with my parents this weekend and my dad told me a story from when the Navy was trying to recruit him into whatever school in Pensacola fed into the Top Gun program. He said he was pretty much sold on it until they made the mistake of giving him a tour of an aircraft carrier and he thought living on that would be worse than prison.