Torque Box and Floor Pan Replacement

KJT

Finally getting around to tackling some more rusted out areas on my 2005 TJR. For this project, I’m going to attempt to replace both torque boxes as they are resting out around the body mounts, and a section of the driver side floorboard. i’ve been reading through forum posts, and feel like I know the process, but don’t know which torque boxes and floor pans to buy. What’s the best stuff? I’d like to stay on a budget, but I don’t wanna get ripped off with some cheap thin stuff that’s gonna fail anyway.

Here’s a few links to what I was thinking of getting.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B095W7N8NL/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3UT4X5YT3EDD4&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09ZY48K5N/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A2OSE6G7MS58ZO&psc=1

PM sent...

Thank you for the generous offer, I think I'm going to stick with replacing the whole torque box and just stop the rust at the source. Both ends of the torque boxes are rusted so bad they are missing, so I'm taking that into account as well. If had some spare torque boxes, I'd be down!

Reactions: Squatch
They worked fine for me.

BTW, how is your project going?

hmm they just redirect me to the amazon homepage.

New baby June 2023 destroyed any chances of serious work on my project all summer. :( Now it's too cold to paint. Maybe next year...

I almost bought a beater 1997 TJ yesterday for a temporary substitute Jeep but it got sold right before I could go get it.

Reactions: Andy-WhiteTJ
Neither of those Amazon links are working for me

Not sure why they aren’t working for ya, they are made by HECASA and sold on Amazon, should be easy to look up.

I know you've done this before, what's your recommendation on some good value torque boxes/floor pans?

Last edited:
Not sure why they aren’t working for ya, they are made by HECASA and sold on Amazon, should be easy to look up.

I know you've done this before, what's your recommendation on some good value torque boxes/floor pans?

I searched for that brand and what I found looks identical to the ones I had. I think they are all made in Thailand and different stickers/brands slapped on them. I would just go for the cheapest ones that look like those. Avoid the ones like on the right of this pic:

IMG_3522.png

Thank you for the generous offer, I think I'm going to stick with replacing the whole torque box and just stop the rust at the source. Both ends of the torque boxes are rusted so bad they are missing, so I'm taking that into account as well. If had some spare torque boxes, I'd be down!

No problem, my friend. Just figured I'd make you the offer, on the chance it'd work for you. Sounds like you have a solid plan in mind. (y)

Reactions: KJT
I searched for that brand and what I found looks identical to the ones I had. I think they are all made in Thailand and different stickers/brands slapped on them. I would just go for the cheapest ones that look like those. Avoid the ones like on the right of this pic:

View attachment 482357

Thank you, that’s super helpful.

Would you happen to know what the section of metal that runs Horizontal to the torque boxes nearest the side of the tub is called? I’ve posted a picture below. if so, do they make replacement pieces?

1E6155E9-5872-4B10-A421-0D84931AC49E.jpeg

91642164-D4B2-4949-8B14-2FF05317467C.jpeg

View attachment 482357

I don't know if I ever bought stuff from Quadratec but I will now do my best to go anywhere else when I need something. The cheap part on the right isn't even close to the one on the left that still may not be an easy to fit part. Just trying to sell both looks like their main business goal is making money whether what they sell works or not. Having them side by side has me wondering how stupid they are or if they just figure their customers are stupid enough.

I don't know if I ever bought stuff from Quadratec but I will now do my best to go anywhere else when I need something. The cheap part on the right isn't even close to the one on the left that still may not be an easy to fit part. Just trying to sell both looks like their main business goal is making money whether what they sell works or not. Having them side by side has me wondering how stupid they are or if they just figure their customers are stupid enough.

Not everyone needs a whole pan so the cheaper one may be a better option if you're only needing to stitch a small area.

Thank you, that’s super helpful.

Would you happen to know what the section of metal that runs Horizontal to the torque boxes nearest the side of the tub is called? I’ve posted a picture below. if so, do they make replacement pieces?

View attachment 482360

View attachment 482361

Classic Enterprises was the only one that had the Torques Boxes back when I did mine. As you know from your Amazon search, there are more companies now.

For the section above, you could just get sheet metal or you could try this: https://www.classicent.com/products/tj-narrow-floor-panels

One of the rear floor pan sections would take care of that spot.

When you replaced your torque boxes, what were your jack points to lift the tub away from the frame?

I know people usually use the torque boxes and gas skid to lift the tub when doing a body lift, but I need some other/more lift points.

When you replaced your torque boxes, what were your jack points to lift the tub away from the frame?

I know people usually use the torque boxes and gas skid to lift the tub when doing a body lift, but I need some other/more lift points.

If your floor boards are still strong enough you can lift the body with a 1" x 2" tube something like this ...

DSC_0278.JPG

DSC_0265.JPG

Reactions: JMT

I used a bottle jack between the rear tire and rear wheel house with a block of wood on top of the bottle jack. Make sure you remove all the body mount bolts first, including the front grill one, rear ones under the tail lights, and rear one near the upper shock mounts.

I used a bottle jack between the rear tire and rear wheel house with a block of wood on top of the bottle jack. Make sure you remove all the body mount bolts first, including the front grill one, rear ones under the tail lights, and rear one near the upper shock mounts.

I've never experienced this but I understand the body can shift a bit if you remove all of the body mount bolts and jack one side up high enough to replace the torque box. I removed the front and rear bolts and the ones on the side that I was replacing the torque box on. I loosened the ones on the opposite side but left them in and with the nut still on. I had no problems. When I dropped the body back down everything lined up and it bolted back together easily.

When the body was tilted up, I had a mental picture of the body shifting if the opposite side bolts had have been out. Again, I have no experience with having to realign a TJ/LJ body (other cars yes) and it was something I didn't want to do if I could avoid it.

I've never experienced this but I understand the body can shift a bit if you remove all of the body mount bolts and jack one side up high enough to replace the torque box. I removed the front and rear bolts and the ones on the side that I was replacing the torque box on. I loosened the ones on the opposite side but left them in and with the nut still on. I had no problems. When I dropped the body back down everything lined up and it bolted back together easily.

When the body was tilted up, I had a mental picture of the body shifting if the opposite side bolts had have been out. Again, I have no experience with having to realign a TJ/LJ body (other cars yes) and it was something I didn't want to do if I could avoid it.

Ya I suppose just loosen the other side, that's probably what I did. I lifted the body up from the wheel well to cut out all the old parts. My floor pans ended up being both fully removed so not able to jack up from there. After the floor pans were in, I put the torque box in, and lowered it down with the weight back on the body mounts before I screwed them to the floor pans (then unscrewed, drilled holes, installed rivets...one at a time)