Torque box distortion

Richard1958

Bonded at the wallet
Supporting Member
I’ve recently noticed a problem when putting up my soft top. The passenger side is way too easy to snap in and the drivers side is excessively tight. Took a look underneath and found that the center torque box mount has pushed upward, bulging out the sides of the box, which prob happened after hitting a submerged rock during a water puddle transit (which will never happen again). I’m figuring this is the problem. Anyone ever run into something like this? Suggestions?
Thanks very much!

Your gonna need to help me out...so the torque boxes are underneath the jeep and are what the body mounts attach to..so you are saying these got damaged and now your soft top doesn't fit? I'm sure im missing something help me out

Reactions: taylormade73
It fits, just really tight on the drivers side and looser on the passenger side. Jus one appears to be damaged; it’s under the passenger side door.

It fits, just really tight on the drivers side and looser on the passenger side. Jus one appears to be damaged; it’s under the passenger side door.
You would have to really mess things up underneath for the soft top not to fit..did the top fit before the damage?

It seems like it would take major damage or rust to make the top not fit right

Have you tried doing the driver side first?

If that doesn't make the driver side loose and passenger side too tight something isn't lined up correctly. I'd expect that to be the top frame, bows and/or hardware.

I don’t know how much these help. I painted everything over when I put in my new transmission over the winter

7D3B3BE2-6408-491B-8EB5-5C4D306DFC87.jpeg

020840F4-FE79-4533-AF9E-9CBC23939497.jpeg

DBD88A4B-0DF6-4864-B32E-E2372DB0460F.jpeg

Holy body lift!!

Couple thoughts and ramblings..I still can't see how the torque boxes would effect the top fitment. The soft top mounts to the roll bar via bows and brackets and that height wouldn't change. The whole body may lean but won't "shrink"

I'm sure you already know this but that box looks rotted and cracked not just cracked from abuse etc

the channel bulges like that when they push the dimple, some spots more than others, the fact it's cracked is probably due to rust.

1 of those BL towers looks like it' leans, that could be clue if the body is shifted on top those pylons.

3 bl.PNG

From that lean it looks like the frame suddenly stopped once but the tub kept going. Or vice versa.
From that lean it looks like the frame suddenly stopped once but the tub kept going. Or vice versa.
I know it looks like that, but that’s the weird angle I had to hold my camera; it’s actually perpendicular to the frame mount.