Totaled!

2006 Rubi 36 k miles rear ended. Insurance now saying total loss as cannot source oem or aftermarket fuel tank. ( other damage is cross member of rear frame bent , luckily can be replaced with aftermarket x member , rear door , wheel carrier, bumper etc. All estimated at about 5k damage)

I know a second hand tank is an option however…

so their 1st offer was around 15.5 k but they had 106 k when it’s only 36k. Needless to say I pointed this out and sent them 50 examples of 2006 Tjs all over 20k in fact non Rubicon average was nearer 25k ! The average of the Rubicon models came in at 26k. Appreciate these are what they are being offered at but still a good sizable sample of comp prices to make them think.

so above I’m really just setting scene. My question is why oh why cannot source a NEW fuel tank anywhere? I have literally searched ever aftermarket
manufacturer and of course oem and no one can supply a single one and all say not sure if they will be getting restocked?

View attachment 309171

View attachment 309172

View attachment 309173

View attachment 309174
I know somebody who needs the t case.... @tworley
Not like you need it in Florida anyway😁

• Haha
Reactions: tworley and jjvw
He said it is just the rear crossmember unless I'm missing something? I can tell you on the west coast that jeep won't total with a rear crossmember replacement and the other parts talked about, especially if you push the insurance company to fix it
Yes…the rear x member is bent in about an inch and half this in turn has pulled the end of the frame in just enough that the tail gate won’t open. There are no creases in the sheet metal anywhere and my real issue is …will the sides of the frame at the rear straighten out ? I guessing it’s pulled in about 1/2” each side. No buckling or anything in the frame it’s just as the x member bent inwards it pulled the sides in.
They are totaling it and I’m negotiating price now.
You guys think frame will come back to normal ( obviously new x member will be installed? )

Reactions: R49
Should be no problem for the right shop. Frame is easy and maybe all it takes is a ram and relieving metal for the tub. Call around and ask shops what they think until you find one that says yes. Seems like many ofv them nowadays don't do much more than replace bolt on parts, slap on a little filler, and squirt paint.
Thanks… looks like a buy back could be on cards as we negotiate amounts.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Be good to hear how it plays out

That was a jewel

Yes…the rear x member is bent in about an inch and half this in turn has pulled the end of the frame in just enough that the tail gate won’t open. There are no creases in the sheet metal anywhere and my real issue is …will the sides of the frame at the rear straighten out ? I guessing it’s pulled in about 1/2” each side. No buckling or anything in the frame it’s just as the x member bent inwards it pulled the sides in.
They are totaling it and I’m negotiating price now.
You guys think frame will come back to normal ( obviously new x member will be installed?
The crossmember probably took the brunt of it. If there’s no buckling of the frame, I’ll bet the frame springs back when the bent xmember is released.

Reactions: JMT and Fughuert
This just makes me sick to see a low miles TJR damaged by someone's carelessness. I'd be buying it back in a minute! :(

Reactions: Thedogsbollocks
That’s crazy they’re totaling it for that. My 2.5l tj got totaled after being rear ended, by a similar Tacoma actually, mine was so fucked that the drivers door when latched looked partially open due to the entire side buckling in.

The adjuster said the cost of repair was just past the total price and by law it had to be totaled in my state.

That’s crazy they’re totaling it for that. My 2.5l tj got totaled after being rear ended, by a similar Tacoma actually, mine was so fucked that the drivers door when latched looked partially open due to the entire side buckling in.

The adjuster said the cost of repair was just past the total price and by law it had to be totaled in my state.
How convenient.

How convenient.
I thought he was bs’ing me but I researched it and my state does have such a law stating if cost of repair is equal or greater than salvage value it must be totaled out.

It was hard to argue my 210k mile 4cyl tj that just hit a deer two weeks earlier and needed a new front clip was worth more than 5.5k, while now needing a new driver side panel, tailgate and paint.

Especially when the fair market examples they showed me didn’t need new front clips and were lower mile 6cyls.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I thought he was bs’ing me but I researched it and my state does have such a law stating if cost of repair is equal or greater than salvage value it must be totaled out.

It was hard to argue my 210k mile 4cyl tj that just hit a deer two weeks earlier and needed a new front clip was worth more than 5.5k, while now needing a new driver side panel, tailgate and paint.

Especially when the fair market examples they showed me didn’t need new front clips and were lower mile 6cyls.
Like I say, "How Convenient" for the insurance industry. Like they didn't lobby for that bullshit law. In my case, I told State Farm that I didn't give a damn how much they thought it was worth or not. I knew what I had, what condition it was in, what work I'd done to it, etc, etc. It was in perfect shape before THEIR client hit me - fix it!

I didn't even need to get a lawyer involved, but I would have if I had needed to. I told State Farm that I wasn't interested in ripping them off or making money on the deal. BUT - they were going to FIX my damn car, and if lawyers get involved, the cost goes up. Pay me (the body shop actually) now, or pay the shop AND my lawyer later.

I don't know what it is about InsCos and totalling - they LOVE to total cars, even sometimes when the repair bill would be LESS!

Like I say, "How Convenient" for the insurance industry. Like they didn't lobby for that bullshit law. In my case, I told State Farm that I didn't give a damn how much they thought it was worth or not. I knew what I had, what condition it was in, what work I'd done to it, etc, etc. It was in perfect shape before THEIR client hit me - fix it!

I didn't even need to get a lawyer involved, but I would have if I had needed to. I told State Farm that I wasn't interested in ripping them off or making money on the deal. BUT - they were going to FIX my damn car, and if lawyers get involved, the cost goes up. Pay me (the body shop actually) now, or pay the shop AND my lawyer later.

I don't know what it is about InsCos and totalling - they LOVE to total cars, even sometimes when the repair bill would be LESS!
No doubt they bought and paid for that law especially in this state. Half our senate works for the monopoly electric supplier.

I was ready to argue it, I wanted to keep it since it was my first car, but came to my senses a little.

Now if they tried to pull that shit on my ljr I’d threaten or get lawyers involved, especially after doing all this outboarding work.

Reactions: Zorba
Yep….not much but yes. Tailgate won’t open as sides slightly pulled inwards. No crease in body work anywhere except tail gate…what dya reckon?
I would bet that when the crossmember is removed; the frame would spring outward and the tub would adjust outward too....

Reactions: Fughuert and JMT