Tow Bar Bracket Mounting

That's a really clean install Moglocker. Yours Old Crow has the type of hook up I have coming. The Reese hitch will bolt right up. I was thinking initially about getting the Blue Ox or Roadmaster quick disconnects but those would hang underneath and are, Ahem, expensive. So I like the idea having on the front of the bumper. Thanks to all for the good advice. Maybe one day there will be a winch and new bumper under the Xmas tree.
I use a stowmaster 5000 hitch to tow my Jeep, it folds down onto the front bumper or can be removed when I get to a stop. It has 2 brackets that bolt to the front bumper then it slides down on two pins.. With the tow bar not much can hang over the front bumper or it can be difficult to stow. I did machine 2 flush shackle mount but compact hooks could be used. Previously I did have a roller faillead and I was able to stow the hitch.

I use the roadmaster invisibrake system mounted under the rear seat area (need to raise the seat 1”). This uses the factory Jeep brakes by charging the brake booster and using an air actuator and cable to depress the brake pedal. I like this ad it is self contained just hook up and go.
I do not have a picture of it all installed as my bumper is out being powdercoated right. I modified it to move the winch back and eliminate the winch plate. ( weight reduction) but the hitch brackets mounts to the 4 holes in the front.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HRTFIW/?tag=wranglerorg-20
CF7AF966-44DC-4204-B871-869D0E6F22FE.jpeg
E57BC9BB-F075-43D1-A536-8D1C0F351470.jpeg
A6B0212E-6093-400E-B9A5-70B34D5D1154.jpeg

I believe the difference between the Stay-in-Play and Invisibrake systems is that the Stay-In-Play only activates when deceleration is detected, in addition to tow vehicle brake activation. I think this is a good feature but in fact it may not make too much difference. I can say that flat towing does seem to wear out brakes faster than normal. I just had to do a brake job after a combined total of 50k miles driving and being towed.

I believe the difference between the Stay-in-Play and Invisibrake systems is that the Stay-In-Play only activates when deceleration is detected, in addition to tow vehicle brake activation. I think this is a good feature but in fact it may not make too much difference. I can say that flat towing does seem to wear out brakes faster than normal. I just had to do a brake job after a combined total of 50k miles driving and being towed.
The invisibrake system activates for 20 seconds when the tow vehicle brakes are activated then it shuts off until the next brake application.

I had not decided which to use but my local RV shop says Demco is what he uses and installs on customer vehicles. I know it's CA law to have the system but a neighbor has been towing without a system for several years and never had a problem with inspection, and believes they make little difference. But he has a Class A diesel coach that probably has massive brakes. Having towed car trailers with electric brakes I know they help a lot. But how much help/difference towing a 3500 pound vehicle would take a before and after trial. The Class C E450 Ford chassis I have now has some great brakes for the coach.

I don’t know how much a difference it makes because I have never towed without it. It is a little annoying because every time I come to a stop and the aux brake releases I get a little bit of of jerk in the tow vehicle. At least that tells me it is working.

TurboTJ, that's exactly where I mounted mine.
I towed for a lot of miles with no brake system, but finally bit the bullet. On the first trip with the brake system installed, I believe it saved me from rear ending some fool. He cut in front of me and braked to make a turn. It was misting rain, and when I jammed the brakes on the RV, I felt the ABS kick in. A fraction of a second later, I felt the brakes on the Jeep kick in and add drag. I got stopped about a foot from the guy's back bumper.

Reactions: srimes and NskLJ
You make a good point and it has become the rule rather than the exception to have disrespectful/inconsiderate drivers dive in front of you expecting you might be able to avoid them. Without tow brakes on my car trailer my pickup would have been in the back seat of several vehicles over the years. I've come to detest driving freeways but you have no choice to get to most distant destinations. Might be that the problem is more in CA than other states due to the higher number of cars. Driving last July from Los Angeles to Mariposa after I picked up the motor home I had as much problem with big rig truckers pulling out as I did cars. They want a lane to pass and it doesn't matter to a lot of them you are there. So the tow brakes for the Jeep are probably in my near future after I get the tow bar set up ready. I do wish there was a less expensive way around this just to have a small vehicle to drive once you get to your destination but so be it.

You make a good point and it has become the rule rather than the exception to have disrespectful/inconsiderate drivers dive in front of you expecting you might be able to avoid them. Without tow brakes on my car trailer my pickup would have been in the back seat of several vehicles over the years. I've come to detest driving freeways but you have no choice to get to most distant destinations. Might be that the problem is more in CA than other states due to the higher number of cars. Driving last July from Los Angeles to Mariposa after I picked up the motor home I had as much problem with big rig truckers pulling out as I did cars. They want a lane to pass and it doesn't matter to a lot of them you are there. So the tow brakes for the Jeep are probably in my near future after I get the tow bar set up ready. I do wish there was a less expensive way around this just to have a small vehicle to drive once you get to your destination but so be it.
There is this version of towed brake system, never used it. I looked into it when I was researching brake system. I came to the conclusion it may be hard to keep adjusted and fine tune.
https://nsatowbars.com/collections/ready-brake/products/the-ready-brake

Interesting variation. Still using the cable approach to apply the brakes. Sure wish there was an easy way around this. I recall the surge brakes on trailers had issues. Friends with boat trailers were always complaining about them. But maybe they improved over the years. The integrated brake controllers on some pickups these days have had some issues with them as well. Whereas the electric brakes without the surge device seem to work okay. I never had a problem on my car trailer and 2014 RAM with electric only brakes.

Interesting variation. Still using the cable approach to apply the brakes. Sure wish there was an easy way around this. I recall the surge brakes on trailers had issues. Friends with boat trailers were always complaining about them. But maybe they improved over the years. The integrated brake controllers on some pickups these days have had some issues with them as well. Whereas the electric brakes without the surge device seem to work okay. I never had a problem on my car trailer and 2014 RAM with electric only brakes.
There is a unit that bolts between the booster and master cylinder. I don’t recall how it operates though. I am happy with the invisibrake unit. I didn’t want the box that went on the floor and actuates the pedal as when I got to where I am going I would have to find a place to store that unit.

The Stay-in-Play provides vacuum to the brake booster and pressure to a pneumatic cylinder attached to the brake pedal. Sort of belt and suspenders so to speak.

Reactions: NskLJ
Another thing I like is that the Stay-in-Play activates the vehicle brake light switch. This also turns on the 3rd brake light. My tow wiring uses the diodes to splice into the stock harness, so only activates the taillights and not the 3rd light. My plan is to get one of those LED rings behind the spare. There will be no excuses like "I didn't see the brake lights"
I also run a hitch basket to carry my extra propane bottles. I added tail and brake lights to the basket that plug into the Jeeps tow wiring.

Reactions: NskLJ
Another thing I like is that the Stay-in-Play activates the vehicle brake light switch. This also turns on the 3rd brake light. My tow wiring uses the diodes to splice into the stock harness, so only activates the taillights and not the 3rd light. My plan is to get one of those LED rings behind the spare. There will be no excuses like "I didn't see the brake lights"
I also run a hitch basket to carry my extra propane bottles. I added tail and brake lights to the basket that plug into the Jeeps tow wiring.
You know, I never thought of that. I am going to modify my 3rd light wiring also.

That is a good feature also, my Jeep had a independent harness and bulbs added to the taillights for towing but with the invisibrake it actuates the brake pedal also so it would turn on all three lamps also. I never really thought about that but it’s a good feature.