Tow pins??

UPJOHN

TJ Enthusiast
My bumpers must have been put on back when my jeep was new in '97. What are these pins for?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Must be cold....your bumpers nipples are poking out!

( I have no useful information other than that's NOT a stock bumper....likely a tow bumper for an RV)

Those holes are where the factory foglights go, at least on a factory bumper.

No way those can be anything towing related. The attachment hole in the bumper wouldn't support towing.

However, that's also not the factory front bumper either.

I searched Google images and found that Tomken Machine in Buena Vista, Colorado made my bumpers. I have the matching bumper on the rear. They call them tow pegs.

I searched Google images and found that Tomken Machine in Buena Vista, Colorado made my bumpers. I have the matching bumper on the rear. They call them tow pegs.

Really? Hmmm, seems like that wouldn't be sturdy enough to tow from, but then again I haven't seen the bumper in person so I wouldn't know.

Really? Hmmm, seems like that wouldn't be sturdy enough to tow from, but then again I haven't seen the bumper in person so I wouldn't know.
I imagine that the actual towing occurs with the built in hitch, and the tow pegs are for routing or mounting safety straps.

Last edited:
I had my Jeep since September and my son told me they were for a tow strap. I didn't believe him. It took me until today to find the company that made them.
They're heavy duty bumpers and with hitch receivers front and rear, a portable winch would work nice.

Those "tow pins" are only bolted onto the top of the bumper, not into the frame as tow hooks would be. As such, I have to agree with the others, they're not adequate for anything other than "gentle" towing... they are not suitable for recovery from a stuck situation. Regardless of how "heavy duty" the bumper manufacturer claims it is. Tow hooks and winches always need to be bolted to the frame.

Edit: DOH, I just noticed in the above photo that I saw that there are also tow hooks properly installed behind those tow pins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Those "tow pins" are only bolted onto the top of the bumper, not into the frame as tow hooks would be. As such, I have to agree with the others, they're not adequate for anything other than "gentle" towing... they are not suitable for recovery from a stuck situation. Regardless of how "heavy duty" the bumper manufacturer claims it is. Tow hooks and winches always need to be bolted to the frame.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I would never attempt to recover a vehicle unless it was by a tow hook mounted to the frame.

I think everyone is ignoring my post.
I noticed your post, most of us (me included) were likely just focused on the recovery aspect, not towing with the towbar. Then I just noticed in the photo that he also has front tow hooks properly installed, that was a DOH! moment for me. Like not seeing the forest for the trees.

Last edited: