Tow shackles

Upstater

20180405_085626.jpg
Had some tow shackles fabricated that wrap OEM bumper and bolt directly to frame. Much safer towing behind MH. I like it better than the big aftermarket bumper I was using.
20180404_173031.jpg

Last edited:
Mind if I asked who was able to fabricate these for you? Around here metal fabrication is hard to come by, as I live in western NC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please tell us those shackle tabs are through-welded front and rear and not just surface welded as I suspect. Surface welded shackle tabs are not up to vehicle recovery use.

Reactions: dylansalrin
View attachment 38119 View attachment 38120 I used trailer spring mounts either bolted or welded to bumper (I've done both). Grade 8 bolts & 1/4" backer plate behind bumper. Cheap & secure!
Those look pretty light. Shackletabs are built to "support" only the 25% of the trailer weight so if those are for a 3500# axle they were designed for about 1000# each. Not what I would want to hook an 8000# winch too.

And if they are just to hook up a tow bar, those tabs which might be rated for about 1000# each, towing your Jeep they are trying to control well over 2000# each. Just sayin' the tabs look pretty light to me.

Last edited:
ED8DE2F1-B452-4097-8522-C0DCA7479B5D.jpeg
Neither!
Bolted on with grade 8 bolts thru bumper to 1/4” backing plate welded to rear of bumper (about 6” long & width of ID bumper.
Not for recovery but tow bar mount. I use double safety chain & cable (4 safety’s).
Big eye bolt on winch plate (which is bolted both to bumper mounts & front sway bar mount) is for vehicle recovery.
However this one is welded on:

View attachment 38137
Jerry, eye bolt for recovery, shackle for tow bar mount. Welcome your comments.
The tow bar mount is fine, there's not much load that is placed on the Jeep by a tow bar as it is all rolling weight which isn't much. The eye bolt is interesting if it is rated strong enough, can't say that I've ever seen an eyebolt ever used on a Jeep for recovery. Sufficient strength is of course always a key requirement for a recovery attach point. Adequate recovery hooks/attach points are typically rated at nothing less than around 9,000 lbs, the last set I installed were rated to something like 10,500 lbs. :)

The tow bar mount is fine, there's not much load that is placed on the Jeep by a tow bar as it is all rolling weight which isn't much. The eye bolt is interesting if it is rated strong enough, can't say that I've ever seen an eyebolt ever used on a Jeep for recovery. Sufficient strength is of course always a key requirement for a recovery attach point. Adequate recovery hooks/attach points are typically rated at nothing less than around 9,000 lbs, the last set I installed were rated to something like 10,500 lbs. :)