Towing a closed-in trailer

bruceco

TJ Enthusiast
I have an astro van which I have used to tow my 5 x 8 closed in box trailer with my bike in it. I have a 2000 tj with the 4 ltr engine and see that it was not recommended towing this type. Has anyone done it .It is a 5 speed transmission.I won't be towing at high speeds maybe 50 -60 mph tops.

It's true the TJ's rated capacity is only 2,000 lbs. The low 2000 lb rating has nothing to do with the TJ's power, strength, brakes, or anything else related to that. If the towing capacity were only based on those parameters, it would be rated near 5000 lbs since the Cherokee with the exact same engine and tranny/brakes is rated for 5000 lbs. The 2000 lb limitation is strictly due to the TJ's short wheelbase. Anything heavier will 'take command' of the TJ/trailer combination when you're going down a twisty road and the first time you have to hit your brakes hard on a curve, you're in deep doo-doo. The short wheelbase can't resist the 'moment' (force) of the trailer trying to push the TJ's rear-end one way or the other and suddenly you've jack-knifed and in BIG trouble. I've been towing for close to 30 years and towing with short-wheelbased vehicles should only be done if you abide by the towing limitations that were figured out by the engineers. By the way, I see Wranglers and VWs towing heavy loads, but that doesn't make the driver smart to do so!

That’s a quote from @Jerry Bransford from years ago!

Reactions: Drizit and KCsTJ
Another factor that limits the tow capacity of a TJ is the frontal area of the trailer being towed, a factor seldom considered on the jeep forums when tow capacity is discussed.

Page 240 of my 2006 owner's manual lists the following:

Tow capacity for TJ: (1) 2.4l w/ manual transmission, 1,000 lb. maximum total trailer weight, 100 lb. maximum tongue weight, 25 sq. ft. frontal area; (2) 4.0l with all transmissions, 2,000 lb. total weight, 200 lb. tongue weight, 32 sq. ft. frontal area.*

Tow capacity for LJ (TJ Unlimited for the purists) with automatic: 3,500 maximum total trailer weight, 350 lb. maximum tongue weight, 32 sq. ft. frontal area.*

A typical 5x8 cargo trailer will have a frontal area of about 24 sq. ft., right at the maximum for a 4-banger TJ. Although it is well within the limits for a TJ or LJ with 4.0l motor, that frontal area will still have an effect which has been described as akin to driving down the road towing an open parachute - the greater the frontal area the larger the parachute.

This is probably why Chrysler has always discouraged towing a travel trailer behind a Wrangler- a travel trailer almost always has a frontal area greater than the maximum allowed, even an egg-shaped Scamp, Casita, or an Airstream Bambi. It is also why one prolific poster can frequently boast that he "tow(s) a pop-up tent trailer that when loaded is probably 1700-1800 lbs. and . . . barely know it's even back there." ** The frontal area of a pop-up tent trailer is so small that it ceases to be much of a consideration.

The bottom line is that one should not tow a trailer that exceeds any of the manufacturer's limitations, One should also follow Chrysler's admonition about trailer brakes in the owner's manual if there isn't a specific state law: "Trailer brakes are recommended for trailers over 1,000 lbs and required for trailers in excess of 2,000 lbs." In my state trailer brakes are required for any camp trailer with a GVW of 1,500 lbs. or more. ***

* There are also GVWR and GCWR ratings beyond the scope of the discussion in this thread.

** See, e.g., https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/towing-capacity.4441/#post-60008

*** See https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/ and http://www.readybrake.com/state-towing-laws.html

I have towed with and without trailer brakes. If I need to use it in a pinch it will just be short distances and local.I have 2 vans so I am sure they will be the ones I use. I just wondered if anyone does do it.

One thing that you also have to take into account is the side wind load of a box trailer. Im sure we have all seen trailers blown over. The jeep wrangler could be more susceptible to cross winds. Depending upon your suspension setup

Is the jeep stock? Modifications can have a huge impact on your ability to pull and control a trailer.

For instance a friend of mine has a 1200lbs popup and a JKU. The rating on the JK is 3500lbs so this should be no problem. In fact when she was basically stock it was just fine. However now that she has 37s and 5.13s (slightly over geared for a 3.6L auto) she overheats at 110-120kph and has to drop down, same if she goes up a long steep hill.

Weight of the tow vehicle is also a factor with towing, a heavy tow vehicle can keep a larger moment of inertia under control. I don't know the weight of an Astro van but I bet it's more than a TJ.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

I tow over 10K miles every year in the mountains, 5x10 Cargo.. used to weigh 2K#... I've added a generator and saw tho. No issues.
DSC_0014_2.jpg

And this, a few times a year... this load scaled 3500# at the dump. The hype about short wheelbase is all hype. I drove a single, single tractor trailer for years, 52K gross on the shortest Mack. Ever see the dashcam videos of diesel quadcabs doing the death wobble with a 30' travel trailer? You either know how to drive or you don't. With a trailer behind anything you need to be focused on driving.

PS, I'm not recommending you ever exceed the weight rating. But the logic is flawed. For a few years the JK & the JKU were both rated at 3500K towing.

For your use, a 5x8 Cargo with a motorbike.... not an issue.

trlr 014.jpg

Reactions: ac_
The jeep is totally stock even the tires.I was not going to tow a huge distance with the jeep,also local to the dump.I have longer base vehicles to tow any distance.I remember when I had my 18' travel trailer ,I could not believe how many idiots passed me at high speed with single wheel, overloaded long trailers,not tandem wheels,kids and dogs hanging out the windows waiting for a blowout. Your point is very well taken about using your common sense.
I am 71 now and have ridden bikes non stop for 51 years with no accidents all over north america.This is my first jeep so I have read of some of its quirks .Common sense will prevail I am sure.

Reactions: billiebob