Towing a U-Haul Trailer

In 96 I moved from California to Idaho. Bought a 8' x 12' trailer from a guy for $800 with a hole in the side. Apparently he was transporting a jet ski had had it up on saw horses in the trailer... whipped around a corner and the ski passed him on the left. Apparently forgot to strap anything down...but had the foresight to gather up and keep all the lapped aluminum panels.

Put all pieces bath together again as best as one can put bent aluminum sheets back...loaded it up and towed it to Idaho with my 1969 K20 truck with a 292 straight 6 geared low...she was singing at 50 on the highway. Alternator died in Jordan Valley and I limped it into Napa on batteries.

Sold the trailer for twice what I bought it for a year later...used it as a storage shed and saved money that way too.

Wonder if I have any pictures.

-Mac

Yes but you have to pick up the trailer with the vehilce. So unless you have F250 or a buddy that does you might not get them to rent it to you. Now I know that the prices of renting leaving from CA is a lot more than renting a trailer in OH and dropping it off in CA.

I would consider what other have said buy a trailer and resell it after you arrive, might compare the difference in cost to renting

The places I have rented from don't come out with you to load up the trailer. They don't know or care what I am towing with. I have also picked up u haul trailers after hours in the past but that may be a case to case basis. I would avoid the uhaul branded large centers and find a mom and pop hardware store that happens to also rent uhauls.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Everyone,

Thanks for all your replies.

I may look at some prices for trailers and see if purchasing is feasible. Storage may be difficult as I live in an apartment but might be able to store it at work.

Yes, california mountains and deserts have been great to me these 5 years, but im tired of the cost of living here. It'll be nice to be back in Ohio, the Midwest and east coast has plenty of charm in it.

Uhaul did state they would rent me a trailer if need be (provided I have a hardtop, which is no biggie for me cause I have one)

I see their trailers do only come 4 pin connectors so no need for a brake controller, thanks yall. That'll save some time, hassle, and money. Like I said I've done some towing but dont know it all by any means. I guess they just really aren't needed in this application.

I'll keep the overdrive off. I've been meaning to wire it so it is off by default, just haven't gotten around to it.

I may add that auxilliary cooler for peice of mind. I do lots of low speed, long distance when I offroad, so I had been eyeing it for awhile. Suppose this will serve as a bit of am excuse to go for it.

Also mentioned was some action to protect the frame, which is definetly on my mind. I learned what will happen to vehicles in the Midwest firsthand. I've heard good things about. Haven't done much research about this yet but fluid film seems popular and seems to be used mostly inside/outside the frame the entire frame. If anyone has any additional info about that, feel free to let me know.

I do way more lurking than posting, and appreciate everyone's quick response when I do post.

For any future members curious, the jeep did fine. I took I40 which I believe has less long inclines/decline. I believe I was a little over my ori ginal weight estimate of 1800 lbs (trailer is 900 or so dry). Probably closer to 2200 lbs, but since I have an LJ, I wasn't stressing (too much).

Just go slow and anticipate braking. Give yourself plenty of room to stop. I went about 60mph most of the way. I also have rockjock front sway bar and heims in the rear sway bar. The extra sway is noticable, but just go slow, take it easy.

Anyway, thanks again everyone

For any future members curious, the jeep did fine. I took I40 which I believe has less long inclines/decline. I believe I was a little over my ori ginal weight estimate of 1800 lbs (trailer is 900 or so dry). Probably closer to 2200 lbs, but since I have an LJ, I wasn't stressing (too much).

Just go slow and anticipate braking. Give yourself plenty of room to stop. I went about 60mph most of the way. I also have rockjock front sway bar and heims in the rear sway bar. The extra sway is noticable, but just go slow, take it easy.

Anyway, thanks again everyone

Did the trailer have brakes?

In many states you dont need trailer brakes until about 2500 lbs of trailer and cargo. The small trailers are not rated that high so no need for brakes. And I dont believe any uhaul trailer has electric brakes. If they are large enough to need brakes they have hydraulic surge breaks. I rented one with my JL no problem.