Towing TJ with removed transfer case?

Slaughterrt

Quick backstory. My transfer case went bad and the TJ been sitting in the parking lot at my workplace. I removed the transfer case, and thought that I would be able to repair and re-install the transfer case. This has unfortunately not been the case, and I’m having to buy a new used one. Currently I have the transmission supported by a Jack/some blocks/other temporary means. I would like to tow the Jeep home to continue working on it. My insurance will pay for a flatbed to truck the Jeep back to my house. However, with the transmission not bracketed/supported to the frame (due to removing the t-case), I don’t think it’s possible to safely move the Jeep without damaging the unsupported transmission.
Any thoughts on what I can do to temporarily (and safely) support the transmission, so that I can flatbed tow the Jeep home (it would be about a 30 mile tow if that makes any difference in anyone’s opinion). Looking for any thoughts/advice.

Thanks,

Rob

If it's getting flatbed towed the areas of concern would be getting it on and off the trailer.

I would strap up the transmission with wrachet straps and temporarily reinstall the skid plate

Reactions: macleanflood
Any thoughts on what I can do to temporarily (and safely) support the transmission, so that I can flatbed tow the Jeep home (it would be about a 30 mile tow if that makes any difference in anyone’s opinion). Looking for any thoughts/advice.

Transfer case is not supported by the skid, only the transmission.
Replace skid.

Reactions: AndyG