Towing vehicle help

Mjv

TJ Enthusiast
I an selling my old silverado 4 x 4 since i got my tj. (Too many vehicles). I have a 2002 gmc sierra 2500hd 8.1 allison with 14 bolt full floater with 4:10 gears. It is an open differential. It tows awsome. The problem is when i get back from camping i dont think it will back the camper up a small incline into the garage. The driveway is gravel, thats where the problem starts. The 4 x 4 walks it right in. Do you guys think i could put a locker in. I love the truck.and would hate to sell it. I have looked in my area for a replacement axle but have not found one.

My driveway is paved and inclined. If I have to stop/start from halfway up, I have to put it in 4WD. Backing my camper up, I don't even try without putting in 4WD.

It seems going uphill there's less weight on the rear axle, I don't know of a locker will solve your problem.

Is there a problem using 4WD?

A locker will help some but you will still have problems with the rear axle unloading backing up hill. How heavy is your camper? 5th wheel or bumper pull? If it's a bumper pull, placing additional weight in the bed will help keep traction on the rear axle.

I an selling my old silverado 4 x 4 since i got my tj. (Too many vehicles). I have a 2002 gmc sierra 2500hd 8.1 allison with 14 bolt full floater with 4:10 gears. It is an open differential. It tows awsome. The problem is when i get back from camping i dont think it will back the camper up a small incline into the garage. The driveway is gravel, thats where the problem starts. The 4 x 4 walks it right in. Do you guys think i could put a locker in. I love the truck.and would hate to sell it. I have looked in my area for a replacement axle but have not found one.
If you have a TJ, use that to put the camper in the garage.
We do this twice a year, spring and fall.
IMG_0889.jpeg

Reactions: qslim
25ft. Bumper pull. Dry wt. 7000lbs. How much tongue wt. Do you have? I'd be scared to death without trailer brakes.

25ft. Bumper pull. Dry wt. 7000lbs. How much tongue wt. Do you have? I'd be scared to death without trailer brakes.
Do you run weight distribution bars? If so, couldn't you disconnect those, which would then shift more weight to the bumper/tongue and therefore rear wheels?

Yes i do. I've heard that before about the bars. I guess the only way to find out is give it a try the next time i hook it up. Thanks!

Reactions: DaveC