Toximus' honest JL review

toximus

My Jeep ♥️ me
Supporting Member
A buddy of mine test drove a brand new stock JL he's considering buying. He took me for a spin and we looked under it. If you know anything about me, you already know that I'm an unwavering TJ guy and I like making my Jeeps run good. Here's my thoughts on the JL.

1) The JLs have a bunch of buzz words that the dealers teach you real quick. I'm going to address them all.

My buddy quickly pointed out that there's an electric assist drive motor for better gas mileage.
Tox: I get it, a stock JL gets like 24mpg if you do burnouts and drive like a maniac. But remember that's on stock tires and a bunch of plastic air dam junk that you will need to remove if you're serious about going off road. So unless it's purely a minivan, I don't understand the gas mileage argument.

A turbo.
Tox: That's nice. It is important to compare the horse power to weight ratio though.

The vents behind the tires are real.
Tox: Okay. I don't see how that's any better than not having them on the TJ. My TJs don't overheat (nor should they) and venting is only beneficial if you need the additional cooling.

The carpet is removable.
Tox: So is the TJs. The difference is that the manufacture made "removable parts" big, gaudy and ugly so you'd notice them. Ever notice the TJ carpet snaps? No, because they are cleanly hidden under the seats and up in the foot well.

There's a tray for your bolts.
Tox: This feature is nice, but a plastic bag in the glove box does the same thing.

35s fit stock.
Tox: Whatever. Tire size has way more to do with the ratio of the tire in relation to the Jeep width, length and height than it does about the tire size itself. Plus, it'll ride worse if you just slap them on.

2) The stock suspension rides like a typical 1/2-ton truck.

My driveway is full of ruts and pot holes so it's a good testing ground for the suspension. To be honest, I couldn't tell you if I was in a Chevy Silverado or a Jeep JL. The suspension likes to bounce after the initial bump and takes a second to even back out. On a paved road it's comparable to my lifted TJ that has 35" tires, anything larger than a crack in the road I prefer the ride of the TJ and the TJ feels more planted.

3) The JL is loud!

The electric fan whines and the electric motor screams. If you're driving under 35 mph the noise level is comparable to the TJ but you're trading low rumble with hitch pitch screams.

4) Skids, mods, etc.

Due to the shear number of these being bought there is a lot of aftermarket products coming from China. But if you want to build one into something for true offroad use the frame is engineered and not tubing like the TJs, and the body has a lot of formed metal that doesn't lend itself well to flat armor. Simply put, a JL can not be built as far as a TJ can be.

5) It's 2019.

I get it, it's 2019, you can't buy a new JL problem-free off the lot. But it's also not 2006 and you cannow buy a good clean TJ for under $10k. If you don't do your own work drop it off at your mechanic and have them fix everything they can find, let's say that it even has a junk axle, fix that too. If it has a stain on the seat that bothers you replace it. And drive it for a few weeks and keep fixing every little thing. $5000 will go a long way towards fixing a stock TJ. Now, throw another $1-1500 in shocks under it (and a lift at the same time if you want to... but I'm trying to keep it comparable to a stock JL) to make it ride super plush. So for $16500 at the high end you can have a very nice TJ that you can grow into as you get into offroading. Compare that to $34000 for a new JL.

I could go into the valid excuses and poor reasons to buy a JL but they all end with the same conclusion: It's to make the owner feel like they're some big boy/girl that bought their way into some non-existent club. That it's supposedly better than the "old model" and therefore they are outsmarting everyone else.

In conclusion, for something that drives like a 1/2-ton pick up truck with undersized shocks it just doesn't put a smile on my face.

A buddy of mine test drove a brand new stock JL he's considering buying. He took me for a spin and we looked under it. If you know anything about me, you already know that I'm an unwavering TJ guy and I like making my Jeeps run good. Here's my thoughts on the JL.

1) The JLs have a bunch of buzz words that the dealers teach you real quick. I'm going to address them all.

My buddy quickly pointed out that there's an electric assist drive motor for better gas mileage.
Tox: I get it, a stock JL gets like 24mpg if you do burnouts and drive like a maniac. But remember that's on stock tires and a bunch of plastic air dam junk that you will need to remove if you're serious about going off road. So unless it's purely a minivan, I don't understand the gas mileage argument.

A turbo.
Tox: That's nice. It is important to compare the horse power to weight ratio though.

The vents behind the tires are real.
Tox: Okay. I don't see how that's any better than not having them on the TJ. My TJs don't overheat (nor should they) and venting is only beneficial if you need the additional cooling.

The carpet is removable.
Tox: So is the TJs. The difference is that the manufacture made "removable parts" big, gaudy and ugly so you'd notice them. Ever notice the TJ carpet snaps? No, because they are cleanly hidden under the seats and up in the foot well.

There's a tray for your bolts.
Tox: This feature is nice, but a plastic bag in the glove box does the same thing.

35s fit stock.
Tox: Whatever. Tire size has way more to do with the ratio of the tire in relation to the Jeep width, length and height than it does about the tire size itself. Plus, it'll ride worse if you just slap them on.

2) The stock suspension rides like a typical 1/2-ton truck.

My driveway is full of ruts and pot holes so it's a good testing ground for the suspension. To be honest, I couldn't tell you if I was in a Chevy Silverado or a Jeep JL. The suspension likes to bounce after the initial bump and takes a second to even back out. On a paved road it's comparable to my lifted TJ that has 35" tires, anything larger than a crack in the road I prefer the ride of the TJ and the TJ feels more planted.

3) The JL is loud!

The electric fan whines and the electric motor screams. If you're driving under 35 mph the noise level is comparable to the TJ but you're trading low rumble with hitch pitch screams.

4) Skids, mods, etc.

Due to the shear number of these being bought there is a lot of aftermarket products coming from China. But if you want to build one into something for true offroad use the frame is engineered and not tubing like the TJs, and the body has a lot of formed metal that doesn't lend itself well to flat armor. Simply put, a JL can not be built as far as a TJ can be.

5) It's 2019.

I get it, it's 2019, you can't buy a new TJ problem-free off the lot. But it's also not 2006 and you cannow buy a good clean TJ for under $10k. If you don't do your own work drop it off at your mechanic and have them fix everything they can find, let's say that it even has a junk axle, fix that too. If it has a stain on the seat that bothers you replace it. And drive it for a few weeks and keep fixing every little thing. $5000 will go a long way towards fixing a stock TJ. Now, throw another $1-1500 in shocks under it (and a lift at the same time if you want to... but I'm trying to keep it comparable to a stock JL) to make it ride super plush. So for $16500 at the high end you can have a very nice TJ that you can grow into as you get into offroading. Compare that to $34000 for a new JL.

I could go into the valid excuses and poor reasons to buy a JL but they all end with the same conclusion: It's to make the owner feel like they're some big boy/girl that bought their way into some non-existent club. That it's supposedly better than the "old model" and therefore they are outsmarting everyone else.

In conclusion, for something that drives like a 1/2-ton pick up truck with undersized shocks it just doesn't put a smile on my face.
Ehh doesn’t drive like any truck I’ve ever driven/ridden in. That’s why there’s a seat for every ass. The tj and newer jeeps all have a place. Driving down the interstate I think I’d rather be in a newer one...I don’t think I’m alone on that either.

I can say without a doubt, my 2019 Ram 1/2t 4x4 rides significantly better than pick ups in the past. It is almost freaky how smooth it is. And yes, I run on a tore up river road daily, not a glass smooth hwy.

I do get what you're saying. Let's face it though, there are (obviously) tons of people that want all the amenities and to run a 35 without even trying. Something the TJ just can't match.

Reactions: Chris and Starrs
Driving down the interstate I think I’d rather be in a newer one.

You say that like there's 2 options. If I were doing lots of interstate driving daily for work I'd look into a car. If I were in the market for something larger, I would seriously look at all SUV options before buying a JL.

My wife and I have been test driving replacement SUV's since a lovely uninsured/revoked licensed person clipped her two weeks ago. I was underwhelmed by the JL as an "SUV", the 4Runner on the other hand, that thing was surprisingly nice even though the model we looked at doesn't have a 3rd row. I really don't want to buy a vehicle in this market, prices are way too high.
The JL may be fine for my wife, it will stay as factory as the day it rolled off the floor, but overall, I think the 4Runner offers a bit more for a daily driver.

Reactions: tworley
The only good that will come out of putting larger tires on a JL is that maybe we'll finally have better options.
Also, the market is flooded with lots of JL take-off stock wheels and tires. Cheap as heck if you're inclined to run those things. ;)

Also, the market is flooded with lots of JL take-off stock wheels and tires. Cheap as heck if you're inclined to run those things. ;)
They did that with the JK Moab rims and tires as well. The first week after the JK came out, they sold a few sets for 8-1000, the rest of the owners saw that and tossed theirs up and not long after that, they dropped to 3-500 a set for new take-offs. I bought a set from someone who said he had them for sale for 8 months at 500 and no calls. It wasn't until he lowered it to 4 that I called. Yep, I've been watching them and waiting for the drop.

There is a guy trying to sell a set of JL versions for a grand. No takers yet.

Reactions: fuse and Chris
I own both jeeps...apples and oranges. I have a perfect 1997 stock F250 heavy duty 4x4 with the 460. Want to talk about rough ride? Makes a new Ford look like Justin Beiber. It was built to work and work hard. It doesn't care about my feeling. It starts to smooths out with 1000+ pounds in the back. There is not a new truck produced to compare it to. That said, a new truck wouldn't break my heart, I'd love to have one. I'll keep my old disgruntled truck as well.

If you wanted a rig to do the occasional off-roading with, would you buy the JL or the TJ?

I would buy the TJ, hands down. I say this because if I'm going to take it off-road, I feel much better about scratching and denting an older, cheaper TJ than I do a 50k plus JL.

I see the guys who are off-roading their JLs to the max, and two things come to mind. Either those guys are financing them and simply have more brains than money, or they are well off enough to pay cash for one and simply have enough money that if they end up destroying it off-road, they can just afford to replace it.

But for the rest of us mere mortals (who don't just have 50k cash to spend on a new JLR), I think most will agree with me that they'd rather take their $15,000 TJ off-road as oppose to their $50,000 JL.

Now if you're going to use it as a daily driver / commuter with no real intention of off-roading it, then I totally get the appeal of the JL (though I still can't get past the price tag and never will).

I agree with the opinion that these people feel they're buying their way into the cool "jeep" club. Look what it's doing to our beloved jeep wave. You try to say anything to some of these snobby rich people about all the trails we have in our backyard and they act like its scared of dirt.

On the flip side, lots of rentals come through and those people DGAF about those jeeps! I always send them to the FSR, but we do have Holy Cross right there too if they really want to test that damage insurance.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hol...noECA8QAg&cshid=1563808494594&biw=360&bih=564

Reactions: lindsey97 and Chris
Some people from my Jeep club went to Windrock TN a few months ago. Its close to 600 miles from home. I would not see myself driving the TJ (at least with soft top) that far but would have no problem with the JL (even with soft top). Now, I've never been to Windrock and maybe I would be disappointed with the new scars on a JL at least I can say I was there.

Reactions: IPerkWVU and Starrs
It's interesting to note the JL 2-door like the JK is essentially identical in size and weight to the LJ. All of the new equipment simply pushed the driver seat back removing most of the rear cargo area. You are trading creature comforts afforded by a larger engine and dashboard for cargo area in the rear. The new 2-doors are essentially LJ sized rigs without the upside of more space inside.

It's interesting to note the JL 2-door like the JK is essentially identical in size and weight to the LJ. All of the new equipment simply pushed the driver seat back removing most of the rear cargo area. You are trading creature comforts afforded by a larger engine and dashboard for cargo area in the rear. The new 2-doors are essentially LJ sized rigs without the upside of more space inside.
Do the JKs and JLs have the 4.0 in them? There’s way more than just a foot less space in the back haha. They are the same size basically tho

I was kicking myself for not bringing a tape measure to check the distance from the back of the front seats to the tailgate so I could compare that measurement on a LJ and JL. Of course the wheelbase is published but that does not directly translate into cargo area.

For a vehicle that is about the same size here are the numbers. I consider this the real cost of modernizing the Jeep, that's all I was trying to get at. Creature comfort vs cargo space. Allot of people seem to suggest the new Jeep is bigger or heavier and it is in a way but it also isn't if that makes sense.

LJ
Luggage capacity29.5 Cu.Ft.
Maximum cargo capacity63.3 Cu.Ft.

JL
Luggage capacity12.9 Cu.Ft.
Maximum cargo capacity31.7 Cu.Ft.

Reactions: lindsey97
If you wanted a rig to do the occasional off-roading with, would you buy the JL or the TJ?

I would buy the TJ, hands down. I say this because if I'm going to take it off-road, I feel much better about scratching and denting an older, cheaper TJ than I do a 50k plus JL.

I see the guys who are off-roading their JLs to the max, and two things come to mind. Either those guys are financing them and simply have more brains than money, or they are well off enough to pay cash for one and simply have enough money that if they end up destroying it off-road, they can just afford to replace it.

But for the rest of us mere mortals (who don't just have 50k cash to spend on a new JLR), I think most will agree with me that they'd rather take their $15,000 TJ off-road as oppose to their $50,000 JL.

Now if you're going to use it as a daily driver / commuter with no real intention of off-roading it, then I totally get the appeal of the JL (though I still can't get past the price tag and never will).
I can guarantee people said the same when the TJ came out; I'd rather take an old CJ and not ruin my new TJ. Years ago I bought a GSXR 750 and was doing a track day a month later. Some dude thought I was crazy for taking a new bike on a track day. Uh, that's what the bike is for, dude. Point being, why buy anything if you are going to wait a decade to put it to it's intended use?