Toyota FJ cruiser possibility?

So in my quest to find another jeep I've stumbled across a few nice FJs and I'm serosuly considering getting one over another tj. Mostly for two reasons, overlanding and it needs to be my DD. The Fj is going to have much better highway managers so that goes for DD and overlanding, and theres significantly more space in it so theres another point for overlanding.

Just curious on what everyone else thought of this, particularly those into overlanding.

I will miss driving that Tj though, somthing about having so little yet so much in a teeney package.

Same underpinnings as a Lexus GX 470, so yeah, a better highway ride. Not really a TJ competitor like the old rugged FJ40 Land Cruiser was. Kind of a modern SUV wrapped in an old FJ40 design. If you're looking for a SUV, go for it. If you're looking for a TJ replacement (body on frame, solid axles), this wouldn't be it.

Same underpinnings as a Lexus GX 470, so yeah, a better highway ride. Not really a TJ competitor like the old rugged FJ40 Land Cruiser was. Kind of a modern SUV wrapped in an old FJ40 design. If you're looking for a SUV, go for it. If you're looking for a TJ replacement (body on frame, solid axles), this wouldn't be it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Fj cruiser is a body on frame isnt it?
Also has a solid rear axle with a factory locker. So not totally useless offroad

My main gripe with my tj was that even with the hard top it was definitely a loud ride on the highway. And I live on kansas so to get anywhere interesting I've got to drive a few hours lol.

Long story short I really just need a tj, but driveable on the highway for more than 2 hours lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Fj cruiser is a body on frame isnt it?
Also has a solid rear axle with a factory locker. So not totally useless offroad

My main gripe with my tj was that even with the hard top it was definitely a loud ride on the highway. And I live on kansas so to get anywhere interesting I've got to drive a few hours lol.

Long story short I really just need a tj, but driveable on the highway for more than 2 hours lol.
You're right, it is body on frame, my bad.

The article I read said they have surprisingly high resale value, so if you found one at a reasonable price, looks like you have a winner.

Reactions: Robert Gessler
You're right, it is body on frame, my bad.

The article I read said they have surprisingly high resale value, so if you found one at a reasonable price, looks like you have a winner.
They're about as much as your avarage tj in the midwest, anywhere from 10-15. Higher if you find a m/t

I can't get over how ugly the look. They look like big friggin' boats.

I hear they do okay off-road (though nowhere near as good as a TJ would in the rocks), but man those have to be one of the ugliest vehicles I've ever seen. Now the older FJs, those are nice!

I can't get over how ugly the look. They look like big friggin' boats.

I hear they do okay off-road (though nowhere near as good as a TJ would in the rocks), but man those have to be one of the ugliest vehicles I've ever seen. Now the older FJs, those are nice!

I'll bet it floats!

Actaualy I kinda dig the styling. And with the right mods it looks very... "commanding"

I dont doubt that a rubicon will out perform this thing on the rocks any day but I dont like playing on rocks a whole lot anyway.

Dirt roads, moderate trails and mountains is where I like to be

Reactions: IPerkWVU
Something else to consider - not sure which way you're leaning, but the manual tranny FJs are full-time all wheel drive until you shift into 4-low. The auto tranny versions are 2wd with the standard 4-high and 4-low. A poster on an FJ forum:
IDMtGoat said:
So the manual transmission FJ simply has 4Hi and 4Lo? You drive around in 4Hi until you need the lower gears​

Yes and yes.​
IDMtGoat said:
For the automatic if I recall it has 2wd, 4Hi and 4Lo, but it does not have hubs.​

Correct.​
IDMtGoat said:
Do either manual or auto transmissioned FJ's physically engage 4wd and/or 4Hi or 4Lo via a link or are they both electronic so they send a signal to a servo or what ever to adjust the transfer case to the correct position?​

Both have a transfer case that is shifted physically/manually by a lever with corresponding shift forks in the transfer case.​
Here's an image of one in the wild:​

1544134306647.png

Reactions: Robert Gessler
I actually like the looks of a nicely done up Jeep Commander with a Hemi. They look great!

Reactions: Starrs
I forgot about that one, my cousin actually had a well built one aswell.
I used to have a 99 durango that I took on a few trips so I can dig the v8

Only downside is it dosnt have a manual transmission option.

I love me a good manual.

I actually like the looks of a nicely done up Jeep Commander with a Hemi. They look great!
yea hers was the 5.7...it was awesome. Looking back I should have bought it from her. Was Khaki, and was in pretty good shape. Had high miles tho. They look really good with a small lift and little bigger tires.

I worked at a Toyota dealership when the FJs we're being produced, they were fun to drive around. Good approach and departure angles and proven drivetrain. The C pillar was always my biggest gripe but I think they would work great for an overland vehicle. The M/Ts are a longer throw like the TJ if I remember right. I'm sure these trd trail team special editions have high resale but thought they looked pretty good.

001.jpg

I'd poke around the fj forums and see what the common mods are.

Reactions: Starrs