Track bar fell off while wheeling today: Anyone know the bolt size?

@ac_ just fair warning it is going to be tough to locate. But i will try and find it. In the middle of the clutch job/ underside rebuild

@ac_ just fair warning it is going to be tough to locate. But i will try and find it. In the middle of the clutch job/ underside rebuild

View attachment 84123
That looks like good times! Seriously. Sad to say... I love wrenching more than wheeling.

Stereo going and a beer... Wife cooking some steaks....

Damn I love it. Thanks for the pic!

Reactions: Jed57 and ac_
I could not. But I also understand that some people can work like that and know where every little thing is.
It would be a lot better if i didn't have 2 motorcycles on the other side of the jeep. I don't dare put stuff on that side. Once the jeep is back together it will be organized again.

What it normally looks like

And the bikes

Reactions: ac_ and Fouledplugs
Not to hijack this post. Lots to learn in this post. But I'll throw it out for the memories... please disregard it and move along... anyway...

But back in 1979.... my 1970 Toyota Landcruiser blew an Oring in the clutch slave cyclinder on Thomas Mtn near Lake Hemet. My girlfriend had braces, and these little rubber bands for it all.
Those little rubber bands.... I stacked them 4 deep on the clutch slave cylinder.. instant Oring.
It worked excellently. Got us home in time to keep her Dad happy.

I left her braces - rubber bands on there for 6 months. And I only replaced them with a real toyota ORing because I knew eventually they would fail.

I married the girl. Had 3 kids...

I'm done now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Well, that is not good! Happened to me once with my stock TB, leaving work. Thank goodness you weren't going fast when it happened.

Reactions: ac_
Yeah, I have been reading stories from now to quite a few years back on different forums, and it seems to be a common problem. I was a few freeway miles from where I staged my truck, but we were able to find back trails, and were able to limp the Jeep back to the truck. That was lucky.

Reactions: bobthetj03
What did you torque the ARP bolt to, and did you use blue threadlocker?
It seems Blaine advised it be tightened to (55) ft-lbs. I don't specifically recall using blue Loctite or not, I probably did. @mrblaine can tell you exactly, it's been too long since I installed it for me to remember. Edit: Blaine confirmed it as being tightened to 55 ft-lbs. with that spec including it being lubed by Loctite.

Last edited:
Reactions: zebra12
Not to hijack this post. Lots to learn in this post. But I'll throw it out for the memories... please disregard it and move along... anyway...

But back in 1979.... my 1970 Toyota Landcruiser blew an Oring in the clutch slave cyclinder on Thomas Mtn near Lake Hemet. My girlfriend had braces, and these little rubber bands for it all.
Those little rubber bands.... I stacked them 4 deep on the clutch slave cylinder.. instant Oring.
It worked excellently. Got us home in time to keep her Dad happy.

I left her braces - rubber bands on there for 6 months. And I only replaced them with a real toyota ORing because I knew eventually they would fail.

I married the girl. Had 3 kids...

I'm done now.
With her or your memory? :p

It seems Blaine advised it be tightened to 45 ft-lbs. I don't specifically recall using blue Loctite but if I had I would have reduced that tightness down to around 40 ft-lbs. @mrblaine can tell you exactly, it's been too long since I installed it for me to remember.
ARP calls for 55 ft lbs lubricated for their 10mm stainless alloy.