Track bar mount cracked, also cracked at frame

BillNyeIsHigh

TJ Enthusiast
Been having some DW. Was trying to identify my track bar to rebuild when I realized that the mount bracket is cracked and the welds to the frame are cracked as well.

Does this need to come off completely, or can I get by with welding all the cracks.

I’ve seen other posts where @mrblaine has given input on bent/cracked mounts but haven’t seen any where the frame welds are cracked as well.

350AFEE2-2A49-4E6E-A57D-436685DD1D7D.jpeg

5E4E90F4-A8C2-4553-A93E-86007A835163.jpeg

B2C2FED2-658E-4554-8948-B50759BC112F.jpeg

Clean out the cracks, bevel it to create a valley, and weld it up with a new plate.

Reactions: rasband
I feel your pain. My tack bar mount where it meet the frame had a separation. I cut out the entire mount and then rewelded it. It is one of if not the worst jobs to do on a Jeep if you're reusing the mount.
As far as the cracks in the actual mount, I'll let Blaine answer that as I know he had repaired many. I know that welders say to drill a hole at each end of the crack or it will crack again. As thick as the mount is it'll take some effort to get it done right.

PXL_20220611_001815916.jpg

Trying to figure out my options. Wondering if it’s more cost effective to just cut this out, fix the frame and weld in a double shear mount (Barnes). I already have an adjustable track bar with a heim. Not sure if this changes height/angle/placement of
The track bar end though.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: TRE3TOP
Trying to figure out my options. Wondering if it’s more cost effective to just cut this out, fix the frame and weld in a double shear mount (Barnes). I already have an adjustable track bar with a heim. Not sure if this changes height/angle/placement of

Any thoughts?

Since you have a rod end on your track bar you could go with something like Barnes but you will want to ask them what the hole dimension from the bottom of the frame is and make sure it matches with you current bottom of frame to center of rod end you have now as to not change the geometry.

But if you plan on going with a different track bar like a Rock Jock you would be better off getting a good mount off a junk TJ and welding it on. Not that you can not repair the one you have it would just be more effort to do so.

Any thoughts?

Considering the multiple cracks that are visible in the actual mount I would toss the mount and start fresh with the Barnes mount after confirming compatibility.

the inside weld was low and had no good penetration into the frame. that left the front edge to hold the load it got ripped, once ripped all that force went into the good leg and it's cracked because of it.

i think the frame is now weak in that spot and just a re-weld may not be the way to go about this.

Considering the multiple cracks that are visible in the actual mount I would toss the mount and start fresh with the Barnes mount after confirming compatibility.

a cutoff wheel and a welder can make most any universal..

I’ll say I talked to Blaine about this today and he seemed fairly confident that I could fix both the cracks, weld on some 1/4” plate to both sides and then grind out, clean up and reweld the bracket back to the frame. He also suggested a cross support from the bracket to the inside of the passenger side frame.

Last suggesting was switching to a Currie front track bar to alleviate some of the shock. He said they typically see stress like mine on vehicles driven fast over rough roads. And let’s just say Charleston has some shit roads.