Trailer towing tips

cclarke802

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am finally making the investement in a trailer to tow my tj on for longer trips (both for gas mileage, comfort, and incase something breaks) and I wanted to know if anyone had any advise on how they secure there rig or thing they keep on the trailer that most wouldn’t think of. Thanks for any help you can provide

To emphasize the importance of this I'll only suggest that you make darned sure to never have less than 10% of the trailer's gross loaded weight on the hitch ball so there is enough tongue weight. If your loaded trailer weighs 1800 lbs total, have no less than 180 lbs. on the hitch ball. 10-15% is what you need. Without enough tongue weight you'd quickly understand where the term 'the tail wagging the dog' comes from. :)

I am finally making the investement in a trailer to tow my tj on for longer trips (both for gas mileage, comfort, and incase something breaks) and I wanted to know if anyone had any advise on how they secure there rig or thing they keep on the trailer that most wouldn’t think of. Thanks for any help you can provide
I will explain this once and then walk away from the shitstorm it will cause not to return.

If you cross your straps, you only have to lose or have 1 strap loosen in order for the rest to also be loose. Pulling on things at an angle also reduces their working load considerably. Put another way, the force they can exert to keep the vehicle from moving front to back is reduced considerable since the vehicle only has to move a small amount for them to be loose.
If you take the straps straight forward and back to conveniently placed tie down points, you can lose two straps and the other two will still be tight. You can loosen two and the other two will still be tight. Keeping them tight is key to them being able to do their job.

I will explain this once and then walk away from the shitstorm it will cause not to return.

If you cross your straps, you only have to lose or have 1 strap loosen in order for the rest to also be loose. Pulling on things at an angle also reduces their working load considerably. Put another way, the force they can exert to keep the vehicle from moving front to back is reduced considerable since the vehicle only has to move a small amount for them to be loose.
If you take the straps straight forward and back to conveniently placed tie down points, you can lose two straps and the other two will still be tight. You can loosen two and the other two will still be tight. Keeping them tight is key to them being able to do their job.

Never understood that myself.

Seen a guy with a golf cart on trailer a few weeks ago that did that. And his right rear strap broke and his left rear was now loose and cart heading towards edge of trailer, but fronts were still crossed and hooked up even though not tight anymore. :whistle:

Ohh I know I’ve towed trailer before just curious if anyone has discovered anything Jeep specific :)
To emphasize the importance of this I'll only suggest that you make darned sure to never have less than 10% of the trailer's gross loaded weight on the hitch ball so there is enough tongue weight. If your loaded trailer weighs 1800 lbs total, have no less than 180 lbs. on the hitch ball. 10-15% is what you need. Without enough tongue weight you'd quickly understand where the term 'the tail wagging the dog' comes from. :)
lol

I use the Mac Straps and they work GREAT for tying down my jeep.
Also don't use the bumper recover points as the jeep will bounce as you go down the road and the straps will loosen. I go around the axles and never use the bumper

They have a lot of options in there kits

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/p...n-kit-with-detachable-axle-straps/Axle-Straps

IMG_4687 (1).jpg

IMG_4686.jpg

IMG_4685.jpg

IMG_4684.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cclarke802
Also don't use the bumper recover points as the jeep will bounce as you go down the road and the straps will loosen. I go around the axles and never use the bumper

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/p...n-kit-with-detachable-axle-straps/Axle-Straps

View attachment 121837

View attachment 121838

View attachment 121839

View attachment 121840
X2 on Mac’s straps you can’t beat them

Reactions: cclarke802

View attachment 121837

View attachment 121838

View attachment 121839

View attachment 121840
Just ordered a set those things look stout