jkowitz Build Thread

Just watched the video before seeing this thread. In the video , he says they paid $16k. According to them, the peeling hood was the only thing negative about the Jeep. To add to the mention of half doors, the uppers were sliding glass and not the zipper ones. Looked like the soft top was brand new as well. Listening to the kid’s plan for it, sounds like he’s gonna put in 8-10k in mods. And that’s if he doesn’t regear for the 35s.

Ahh gotcha. That makes sense, I guess they are less common now that I think about it.

I noticed in some other threads that the Mopar Rock Crawler bumpers are pretty desirable too. My Jeep came with a set in great shape and I didn’t realize how hard they are to to find until I started reading about them here.
You just bought your jeep didn’t you? I’m pretty sure I posted the listing for your jeep in the findings thread. Yes the bumpers are super rare

Ahh gotcha. That makes sense, I guess they are less common now that I think about it.

I noticed in some other threads that the Mopar Rock Crawler bumpers are pretty desirable too. My Jeep came with a set in great shape and I didn’t realize how hard they are to to find until I started reading about them here.
72B2CA8B-2BEE-42A8-A025-AF830DB2BAB6.png
You’ll learn soon enough if a nice Jeep is on CL I’ve seen it or talked about it hahaha. Good find

I don't understand how people watch this stuff, I really don't.

I guess free time will do that to you :LOL:

Never heard of this person before in my life, but I also don't do YouTube, so I'm not familiar with all the "cool kids" ;)

Trail recon is not a “cool” kid. I really dislike the guy and his videos don’t do anything for me. Come off as arrogant and pompous.

I watch a few channels on the stupidtube, but it’s good content and it’s once every few weeks.

Trail recon is not a “cool” kid. I really dislike the guy and his videos don’t do anything for me. Come off as arrogant and pompous.

I watch a few channels on the stupidtube, but it’s good content and it’s once every few weeks.
I've watched a bunch of his video's and think the complete opposite. He seems like a genuine guy who has a strong love for the outdoors and sharing his passion with others.

I've watched a bunch of his video's and think the complete opposite. He seems like a genuine guy who has a strong love for the outdoors and sharing his passion with others.
Yea I watch also. Family oriented guy and just enjoys wheelin with his kids and buddies. Pretty informative content. Subscriber and follow on IG

He’s into a different side of 4x4 than me, but it’s decent content and way better than the blond chick channel that is all show and no go... even better my son can watch it with me without any worry of inappropriate content.

ironically, the newer content around his JKU is slimming down the over-the-top “overlanding” rubbish and is starting to be more sensible.

All good. Everyone has different opinions. I’ll give him this much, his videography is good. Just dislike the guy. *shrug*

I do like maxxpowell. A few others like lastlineofdefense as well: primal outdoors is one my more favorite channels.
All our tastes are different!👍

Reactions: TJ Starting
Well , right out of the gate that little TJR is gonna shock them with where it can go and get back out of ...a big Jku can't touch it's agility .

Glad he's home and has something to do and look forward to.

@Starrs is so tied into the TJ and LJ Rubicon market , just his mood can affect daily prices .

On the tire sizes , my 06 came with 35" mud tires , and all I cared was if they would get me to the tire store .

2" less tire later , it was like a free re gear. I understand all the needs and so forth for big tires , but if you want a daily driver tj and absolutely have to have the lifted look , stay with 2 1/2 " -4" of lift (that's liberal , 3"-3.5" is plenty) and 32-33" tires and spend the extra money on bartacts , nice wheels , a tire carrier and bumpers. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't go bigger , but it's going to cost to make it work well .

Well , right out of the gate that little TJR is gonna shock them with where it can go and get back out of ...a big Jku can't touch it's agility .

Glad he's home and has something to do and look forward to.

@Starrs is so tied into the TJ and LJ Rubicon market , just his mood can affect daily prices .

On the tire sizes , my 06 came with 35" mud tires , and all I cared was if they would get me to the tire store .

2" less tire later , it was like a free re gear. I understand all the needs and so forth for big tires , but if you want a daily driver tj and absolutely have to have the lifted look , stay with 2 1/2 " -4" of lift (that's liberal , 3"-3.5" is plenty) and 32-33" tires and spend the extra money on bartacts , nice wheels , a tire carrier and bumpers. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't go bigger , but it's going to cost to make it work well .
That's where I am. 3.5" lift, 33x10.50x15 with 4.56 gears. :)

That's where I am. 3.5" lift, 33x10.50x15 with 4.56 gears. :)
I'm there with 12.5" wide KO2 , and it literally drives car -like . Took some doing , a series of small improvements , but it finally paid off.

Tell me if I'm right about those parameters-

Your TJ looks good

You can get in without a ladder

Tires are affordable

The power is there

You can contend with traffic

Wheel about anything

.....And look really good doing it .

Last edited:
I'm there with 12.5" wide KO2 , and it literally drives car -like . Took some doing , a series of small improvements , but it finally paid off.

Your TJ looks good

Tires are affordable

The power is there

Wheel about anything

Do you have a build thread or 2? I don’t think I’ve seen your rides yet? Might need some light reading when I get home. Thread title or reply with the link to your build threads.

Do you have a build thread or 2? I don’t think I’ve seen your rides yet? Might need some light reading when I get home. Thread title or reply with the link to your build threads.
AndyG's period correct 03 Rubicon... period correct is my term for nothing ever got updated . It's really the result of getting the TJ and trying to sort it out then getting on here and learning too late . It was actually set up in 03-04 I think , so it's like looking back in time . You will shake your head when you see it , had 20,500 miles , I'm sure a lot were on the trail .

The 06 Rubicon has a zone lift , Cooper sst pros, and is a perfect trail rig , at 11,500 in. No thread on it . It's solid, and I love the automatic. Hitting an awesome trail in it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Your TJ looks good

Tires are affordable

The power is there

Wheel about anything

You are right!
I did some small improvements too, and like my ride and how it handles. Now just maintain it and enjoy it.

Reactions: DrDmoney and AndyG
Be sure to read my last post on that thread , it had a pretty weird pedigree , and I give a pretty frank assessment of where it was and is now. I love the echomaster hard wired in the mirror backup camera and my 2100 lumen led by back up bulbs .