trans question

Once you look up and understand CAFE, it all begins to make more sense. It has little to do with Jeep but more to do with the Corporate Average Fuel Economy. If you build 50 Dodge Vipers, you need to build 10,000 4 cylinder Jeeps that on paper look to have a higher average fuel economy to stay within the Federal guidelines when you average in the Viper mileage.

Go figure... It's all tied in to government.

Yea it crazy to put a 4 in it j had a 1993 jeep Cherokee 2wd straight 6 in it i do miss it but always wanted a wrangler just not to crazy about gas milage got to get this figure out

Well, even when you do figure it out I suspect that if gas mileage is what you're after the wrangler is the wrong vehicle for you. These things get really bad gas mileage even when they are running great.

Very true i will get use to it i do really like it it a great ride smooth ride and fun just not use to gas but thanks for all the advice

Very true i will get use to it i do really like it it a great ride smooth ride and fun just not use to gas but thanks for all the advice

I know... We all wish they got better gas mileage, it's just the nature of the beast. This is why I have a daily driver that gets good gas mileage and the TJ is our weekend car.

Just to clarify one point, the difference between the 15 and 19 gallon tanks is the length of the vent tube that extends into the tank not the filler tube.

That being said, I run the NJ turnpike 3 times a week with my 4 banger (120 mi round trip) and have no problem maintaining 65 MPH and my typical mileage is a steady 20 MPG running 31's. I check my mileage at every fill up to verify.

Reactions: Chris
Just to clarify one point, the difference between the 15 and 19 gallon tanks is the length of the vent tube that extends into the tank not the filler tube.

That being said, I run the NJ turnpike 3 times a week with my 4 banger (120 mi round trip) and have no problem maintaining 65 MPH and my typical mileage is a steady 20 MPG running 31's. I check my mileage at every fill up to verify.
Tell us more...
rear end ratio
tranny
tires........

Tell us more...
rear end ratio
tranny
tires........

Running 31" AT's with the 5 speed manual and the rear is the stock 4:10 ratio. The only engine mods are the 4.0 throttle body, yellow top fuel injectors and tubular headers (stock pattern). I will say that I pay close attention to my engine and it's maintenance like a psycho.

My Dad taught me years ago during the gas crisis of the early 70's to regularly check you mileage as it's a window to engine performance, and I've been in the habit ever since.

Not a bad habit to have at all!