transfer case leaking

Dogue

image.jpg
image.jpg
Is there a video showing how to split this case and is it true there is no gasket you need to use RTV silicone

Lots of videos on youtube. Is the case cracked where it's leaking? Yes on the rtv sealant

image.jpg
Why does every video I look at have a dust cover and this one does not is this something you will need a pulley to take off

Looks like a harmonic balancer that not all NP 231s have. You might do a search on it and see about removal. Is your rear axle a Dana 44? Can you not get to the bolts on the tail housing where tbe leak is?

Hmmm, that is a harmonic balancer, but you're right... All the other NP231s I see seem to have a dust cover / boot there, not a harmonic balancer. Am I wrong?

Your right. I did zome research but only came up wifh might work ideas. Pullers to hammers. I think it might be in two pieces.

Still not sure how it would come off over the shaft.

Im at a loss on this one. I would tag Jerry Brandsford or Mr. Blaine . They would know I bet. Maybe Chris can help with that. There is a solution and this forum can find it. Hang in there.

Did a bit of research and the consensus seem to be that you will need 3 - M6x1.0 x 2inch bolts fully threaded preferably grade 10.8 that get threaded into each hole and slowly tighten each bolt until it pops off.

Every time I research it seems like people using the bolts they say try to tap it out first to clean out the rest
I also read that usually it damages the housing as the three bolts push off the balancer

3 hole harmonic balancer/steering wheel puller with 3 pieces of "all thread" with nuts is what I'd suggest. Then you can just pull it off rather then pushing it off.

Sorry I have not had to remove the harmonic balancer since neither of my t-cases ever had one but the forum threads I read say they used three common M6x1.0 bolts to push it off and that they had no problem. I'd probably spray it first with Kroil, Liquid Wrench, or Break-Free where it's pressed onto the output shaft but it's apparently not all that tight.

Can't offer too much in the way of suggestions on what the leak could be. My one and only tcase ATF leak was from a nicked o-ring that was around the speedometer gear housing where it sits in the side of the tcase. The wind blew the leaked ATF around so much it looked like it was leaking from the output shaft but I got lucky it was just that nicked speedometer gear housing o-ring.

And congrats on winning the November Ride of the Month! :)

[
Thanks anyways it looks like I'm going to have to try the three bolts and push it off I figured I would try to get as much information before I tackle it