Transfer case not engaging rear drive shaft

Aj637

I recently broke my rear differential on the way to work. Luckily, I made it there without losing my tire in 4H with power to the front wheels only. I'm thinking my transfer case is shot as the rear drive shaft doesn't spin at all regardless of what I'm in (2H, 4H, 4L). The rear drive shaft spins freely by hand, even when I have the shifter in gear, ie 1st gear, 2nd gear etc)...any ideas?

1000002637.jpg

1000002694.jpg

Looks like the loose spider gears may have seized the pinion gear causing your t- case main shaft to fail? It's amazing you still have drive to the front axle. If you have a slip yolk, maybe it sheared the splines? I've never heard of it happening, but may be a best case scenario.

Yeah, you're absolutely right about the pinion being seized. Everything was stock and I didn't have a SYE. It that's the case of the t-case main shaft, is that something worth just rebuilding/replacing? I'd probably have to remove and open up the t-case anyways to find out huh...thanks for your input.

Reactions: LJBean
if the rear driveshaft isn’t spinning you’re staring headlong into opening the t-case either way. It’s really not a bad job. Do the SYE while you’re at it.

Reactions: CMBD and LJBean
Yes, that SYE shaft replaces the one that's broken.

But you may have other problems in there. You have to take most of the TC apart to install the SYE, so you'll be able to check everything out.

Please post pics of the inside of the t-case, I want to see that output shaft. Or what's left of it, anyway.

As long as the case is intact, you will likely be able to get it refreshed. As @OldBuzzard noted, you may have other issues due to shrapnel from the grenaded shaft. Plan on getting a rebuild kit and refresh the bearings and seals while you're at it., and take a close look at the planetary to make sure any metal chunks and shavings are cleaned out.