Transfer case not shifting into 4 low

dxbtj

Hi everyone. I know there is alot of info on this topic but my issue seems to be abit different.

In short when trying to shift into low i do not get any grinding noise what so ever, just seems like it is in neutral. I took it to the garage and the mechanic tried shifting it manually into low gear from the transfer case directly but no go

Anyone had similar experiences or and recommendations. My mechanic suggested getting a transfercase from a scrap yard possibly even a JK one (already swapped in a JK 6 speed as previous one wasbt in good condition)

Sure there is "Beginners guide to low shift links" somewhere.
Im interested too since going to drop kit my transfer plate today.
Dont know how it will inpact shifting links yet

Last edited:
So, does the linkage actually move the lever (on the T-case) into position, but the planetary gear set doesn't engage or does the linkage not allow the shift lever to go far enough? Does 4Hi work?

Sorry forgot to add that. From inside i can shift the transfercase lever through from 2h to 4h to 4l. 4hi does work, but when shifting up from 4hi to 4lo the motor seems to spin freely like in neutral

I'm assuming it shifted correctly before, yes? Did you make any changes to the Jeep like add a body or motor mount lift? The factory linkage has a bell-crank between the body and TC, if the body moves in relation to the TC, it will affect how the linkage works. Since the shift pattern is 2H - 4H - N - 4L it's possible the shifter is not moving the linkage far enough past N to engage 4L, hence your comment that the "motor seems to spin freely like in neutral"

Have you tried shifting at the transfer case from underneath? Have someone work the TC shift lever while you are underneath looking at the linkage to see how it operates. Loosen the linkage where it attached to the TC and see if you can shift it manually into 4-lo. You many need your assistant to rock the Jeep back and forth a little for it to engage 4-lo.

When I added a 1" body lift, I had a similar problem shifting into 4-lo. Readjusting the linkage fixed the problem. For a more permanent fix, I added a Skyjacker shifter relocation bracket. It supports both ends of the belcrank at the TC and eliminates shifting issues caused by body flex. Another alternative (although more expensive) is the shifter cable sold by Novak and others.

Sorry forgot to add that. From inside i can shift the transfercase lever through from 2h to 4h to 4l. 4hi does work, but when shifting up from 4hi to 4lo the motor seems to spin freely like in neutral
If it goes into 4-hi, your chain hasn't broken, so I'd be willing to bet there isn't anything wrong with the T-case.

I'd guess that something is bound up in the linkage like @RubiconMike was saying. The actual shift dog in the T-case isn't moving far enough to get full engagement to 4lo. I had a problem with that for a while, where it would go into gear but not stay in detent. It would pop out of gear occasionally. A Savvy Shift cable fixed it.

Reactions: RubiconMike
Odds are very good the transfer case linkage has just slipped out of adjustment so it's not pulling the linkage far enough to get the transfer case into 4Lo. And using pliers to shift into 4Lo is hit or miss depending on if the the gears inside, which are not synchronized, are lined up well enough for it to go into 4Lo. Which is also why it's so hard to get it into 4Lo when you're at a dead stop, and why a dead-slow crawl helps engage 4Lo more easily.

There's just one bolt on the linkage that holds the linkage in adjustment which is circled in red in this photo. Odds are good you would be able to see where the bolt used to hold the rod and you can probably see that the rod has pulled out from that position. It's a fairly easy thing to get back into adjustment. All that's needed is a 1/2" wrench for that bolt.

transfer-case-linkage.jpg

Hi all thanks for the replies. I guess the mechanic did not explore all the options. Perhaps as was stated someone needed to rock the car for it to engage in 4low

Im not too mechanically inclined but ill try to look underneath myself and see if i can adjust the linkage.

From my searches alot of people experience a grinding noise, however in my case there is none what soever when shifting into 4lo. Also there have been no recent changes to the car in terms of mods

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem. Did you ever figure it out? Does anyone have a photo of the actual shift linkage that the z linkage hooks up to coming out of the transfer case. I can adjust my linkage but I dont know what gear my transfercase is in.

I'm having the same problem. Did you ever figure it out? Does anyone have a photo of the actual shift linkage that the z linkage hooks up to coming out of the transfer case. I can adjust my linkage but I dont know what gear my transfercase is in.
Did you ever figure out what gear your transfer case was in? How can I shift it into 4 low from underneath?

I very recently had the same issue. Thought it was in the linkage but the mechanic is having to pull the TC and fix the shifter inside the case.