Transfer case tan with no fluid and now won't shift into gear

davidurke

I recently bought my manual 1999 Jeep wrangler with the 4.0 less than a month ago and it had been driving fine for the most part until a couple of days ago.

Today I started to hear grinding/buzzing noises going down the highway, especially when I let off the gas. And felt a few clunks too. When I got back home, I checked my transmission fluid and diff fluid and it seemed fine, with no big junks of metal. just some very fine powder.

However I went to check the transfer case and it was bone dry, so I am thinking the transfer case is completely shredded. And now it wont go into any gear including reverse and makes a loud grinding/buzzing sound.

My main question is: Can a bad transfer case can cause my jeep to be completely immobile? Could the chain have snapped inside and now wont move in forward/reverse or 2wd/4wd.

However I went to check the transfer case and it was bone dry, so I am thinking the transfer case is completely shredded. And now it wont go into any gear including reverse and makes a loud grinding/buzzing sound.

Just for clarity, your manual transmission stick will not go into reverse? You can’t shift it into gear.

Or, are you saying that the Jeep won’t go forward or back when you put it in gear, no movement?

I can move the shifter into place just fine. Just when I try to move the vehicle by letting off the clutch, it starts to grind and buzz, this happens in any gear I put it in.

Well, your Trans sounds like it’s turning, and if you’re TC is toast, it’s blown and won’t push that back to the wheels.

I’d get the TC off and see if there looks to be any damage to the Trans, or just isolated to the TC.

Sounds like a new TC and fluid are in order.

Quite likely a trashed T-case. You may get lucky but not likely, the case is probably scrap metal, at least from my past experiences. When 231 transfer cases lock up it often brakes the case too.
A side note, I joined here today and was checking on 231 T-case info, I was changing the fluid in mine got a surprise 3.5 qt of what looks like cream, first time I have seen that one. Last time I changed it I used the "updated" Valvoline DEX/MERC ATF. In the pasts years I have always used DEX 1or 2 and not seen that.

Last edited:
I recently bought my manual 1999 Jeep wrangler with the 4.0 less than a month ago and it had been driving fine for the most part until a couple of days ago.

Today I started to hear grinding/buzzing noises going down the highway, especially when I let off the gas. And felt a few clunks too. When I got back home, I checked my transmission fluid and diff fluid and it seemed fine, with no big junks of metal. just some very fine powder.

My main question is: Can a bad transfer case can cause my jeep to be completely immobile? Could the chain have snapped inside and now wont move in forward/reverse or 2wd/4wd.

Yes, the driveline from the engine through the transmission must go through the TCase to turn the wheels. You’ll need a new 231 T Case

Fortunately for you 231 tcases are readily available and inexpensive. Installation is easy. Took me four hours solo to remove, install an SYE, and reinstall. The tcase is light and can be easily maneuvered solo.

Reactions: mrblaine
Quite likely a trashed T-case. You may get lucky but not likely, the case is probably scrap metal, at least from my past experiences. When 231 transfer cases lock up it often brakes the case too.
A side note, I joined here today and was checking on 231 T-case info, I was changing the fluid in mine got a surprise 3.5 qt of what looks like cream, first time I have seen that one. Last time I changed it I used the "updated" Valvoline DEX/MERC ATF. In the pasts years I have always used DEX 1or 2 and not seen that.

Any chance you got water in your Tcase? Make sure vent hose is intact and routed to a high point.