Transmission Bolt Sealant?

LukesfirstJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I've searched, but could not find my answer. I'm servicing my 42RLE automatic transmission, and the FSM says to replace the seal or sealant on bolt #5. What type of sealant should I use? I have some Permatex Ultra Black that I used on the corners of the oil pan.

I've searched, but could not find my answer. I'm servicing my 42RLE automatic transmission, and the FSM says to replace the seal or sealant on bolt #5. What type of sealant should I use? I have some Permatex Ultra Black that I used on the corners of the oil pan.
That’s exactly what I used.

Reviving from the dead...

I'm getting ready to do this but can't seem to find solid info on where/how to apply the sealant on bolt #5. I decided on a Lube Locker gasket and am going to replace the pan with the Dorman alternative that seems to get a lot of love (I also bought the correct drain bolt washer). Service manual obviously recommends the Mopar Lock & Seal but I hear Permatex Ultra Black works just as good.

The Mopar product is a medium strength thread locker whereas the Permatex is RTV. I'm sure both work well but which would you use, and how do I apply it to bolt #5? I was thinking threads and under bolt head where it mates with pan?

Reviving from the dead...

I'm getting ready to do this but can't seem to find solid info on where/how to apply the sealant on bolt #5. I decided on a Lube Locker gasket and am going to replace the pan with the Dorman alternative that seems to get a lot of love (I also bought the correct drain bolt washer). Service manual obviously recommends the Mopar Lock & Seal but I hear Permatex Ultra Black works just as good.

The Mopar product is a medium strength thread locker whereas the Permatex is RTV. I'm sure both work well but which would you use, and how do I apply it to bolt #5? I was thinking threads and under bolt head where it mates with pan?

From my memory, I just put some (Ultra Black) on the threads. Some may have oozed out under the bolt head. No leaks so far.

Reactions: Gilly11277