Transmission Breather - NSG370 6 Speed Transmission 2005-2006 TJ

JeepNWilly

Jeep Addict
Supporting Member
Jeep provides breather hose for axles and transfer case but they neglected to put one on the Mercedes 6 speed manual transmission that came on the 2005 and 2006 TJ's. As long as you do not do deep water crossing your should be ok. If you do play in the water I would advise to remove the plastic breather cap and replace it with a hose. The cap can be found on the base of the shifter column on the front driver side. My TJ has had its fare share of water/mud wheeling and because I did not know about the cap It has had plenty of water in the transmission. I discovered this after I dropped the transmission to replace the clutch.

P2170117_a.jpg

Very helpful info, something I never even knew! You guys with 6 speed transmissions should take notice!

Reactions: JeepNWilly
@JeepNWilly, is this breather accessible without dropping the trans? It's close to the shifter handle, I'm wondering if I can get to it from the shifter boot inside.

I did mine while working on the clutch.
Maybe removing the console you might have access to it that way. Or removing the transfer case skid and dropping it slightly with a support jack

The ax-5 has a similar cap on it. @JeepNWilly How did you remove the cap and how did you attach a hose to the hole?

On the NSG370 the plastic cap was easily removed by simply pulling on it. Not very difficult at all. Once I pulled it off I was able attache a hose to it with a hose clamp. The breather hole has a big enough nipple that a hose and a clamp can be attached.

Reactions: JMT and PStov98TJ
On the NSG370 the plastic cap was easily removed by simply pulling on it. Not very difficult at all. Once I pulled it off I was able attache a hose to it with a hose clamp. The breather hole has a big enough nipple that a hose and a clamp can be attached.
Gotcha. I'll have to take a look at the ax-5 and see if it has a similar nipple under the cap. Don't see why it wouldn't though.

Although one piece of advice for your setup, I'd be a little weary of combining the vent hoses for the transfer case and trans. If fluid from either boils out of one of them (like if you accidentally put a little too much in one of them after a fluid change), it could contaminate the other.

Reactions: JeepNWilly
Yea I thought about that after the fact and have been lazy to get back under there and separated them.
I hear ya. Just wanted to toss out the knowledge. I've looked at this mod before, but never got around to it. I hate mud and deep water, but it's a fact of life in the South, so I like for my Jeep to be prepared for it. Never know when you're gonna drop off into a hole that some idiot rutted and made it full foot deeper than last time.

I hear ya. Just wanted to toss out the knowledge. I've looked at this mod before, but never got around to it. I hate mud and deep water, but it's a fact of life in the South, so I like for my Jeep to be prepared for it. Never know when you're gonna drop off into a hole that some idiot rutted and made it full foot deeper than last time.

Yea I wish I would have know back in 2006 when I started wheeling my brand spanking new TJ. Down here all we have is water an mud so naturally that is what I my TJ did the 1st few years of its life lol. Not knowing this when I did the first fluid change it was mainly water. Eventually I will need a new one or rebuild this one. I am basically running it until it dies on me.

Issues so far that slowly started showing up shorty after warranty expired LOL
1st and 3rd pop out of gear, 2nd, 3rd and 4th grind and 6th is very hard to get into gear.

These 2 pics were probably 2 months after I drove it off the dealer. Yup I bought it to wheel it and as my DD.
It took a flatbed wrecker to pull me out of this nast nast mud. He anchored the flat bed on the ground hooked me up to the winch and I got in the Jeep. Took some time but it came out LOL

gallery_1781_208_56517.jpg
gallery_1781_208_87086.jpg

Reactions: JMT