Transmission Codes, Limp Mode, And New PCM

I am at my wits end !! The details 04 tj rubicon 4.0 42rle. Got into my jeep one morning and it was stuck in second gear. Replaced solinoid pack, filter , new fluid. Still stuck in second gear. Brand new aftermarket transmission, and new TCU. Still stuck in second gear. All connections correct no visible damage to wiring. I am lost, and don't know where to turn next.

I'm not much help on the topic, but your question might get more views and responses if you also start a new thread in the TJ General Discussion forum.

Welcome to the site and I hope you can get some answers.

I have a 04 and it would go into limp mode, I don't remember the codes, it was erratic, replaced all the normal parts still bothered and then tranny guy said check the relay for power to transmission and I could see just a hint of green corrosion on the contracts coming out of the relay so replaced it and fixed the problem. Spent 450$ on a 5$ fix

A friend of mine just dropped his 05 LJ off at a shop. Tranny was rebuilt 10k miles ago. Shop told him "output speed sensor was reading nothing, even when in motion. They will try to figure out if it’s a wiring issue or some internal gear he said that started with an R. Wiring issue will likely be a cheaper fix, the internal gear will likely lead to a trans rebuild"

Update, I have put everything back where it belongs, including the OE TCU completely new error code P1492.
LOL !!! Can't make this SH** up !! I do not have a garage to work in, and as I am in Connecticut too cold to work by flashlight.
Tomorrow I will remove the battery and inspect the temp sensor and wires there to. Fingers crossed!!

I'll let you know how my friend makes out. He dropped his off at Basal's transmissions in Glastonbury. A few other folks in my club used them and said they were good.

So... several hundred miles later and the same 3 codes remain. One for the IAC circuit, one for the sentry key, and one for the PCM power relay.

A friend of a friend is a master mechanic for Chrysler. After reading my codes, he immediately mentioned that there may be a chafed wire near the back of the valve cover. Low and behold, I checked the wiring and sure enough I found a wire that was exposed.

Wrapped it up with electrical tape and after a wheeling trip yesterday the only sign of transmission issue are a slight delay and skipping noise when shifting into Drive which is intermittent.
would you possibly be able to snap a pic of where this exact wire is?

Sure man one sec
FB517921-F9DC-4730-866B-C05C396D6800.jpeg
DC93555D-13F3-4D52-8863-FA6D92D543D2.jpeg

This was on the the back side of my valve cover in the factory plastic conduit thing near the firewall.

This sounds similar to the issue I just had (except for the P0888 code). Dropping the trans pan, swapping out the filter and putting in 6-7 quarts of fluid fixed it. Hopefully you find and fix the issue quickly.
Hi Redneckpunk....you had a P1775 that was resolved by transmission oil replacement?....how is it now? thanks, Dave

I am at my wits end !! The details 04 tj rubicon 4.0 42rle. Got into my jeep one morning and it was stuck in second gear. Replaced solinoid pack, filter , new fluid. Still stuck in second gear. Brand new aftermarket transmission, and new TCU. Still stuck in second gear. All connections correct no visible damage to wiring. I am lost, and don't know where to turn next.
@inlovewithrubi hi, wondering how you finally resolved this issue...thanks, Dave

Wranglerfix! Please help me! I inherited my 05 TJ from my father when he passed in 2020. CEL has been on since I got it, and codes were always for O2 sensors. I replaced all 4 O2 sensors with the NTK sensors. All was good for a while , codes went away for about a week or two and the cel came back on had it read and it was calling the same four O2 sensor codes and then that's when the 0700 and 1603 came up this is back in December of 2021. I've driven with no issues up until now, with the exception of a couple of times while on the freeway at 60 MPH or somewhere just before that it would go into neutral I'd drop the idol put it back in here and continue on no problem. That happened three times earlier this year. Since then I've driven all summer no issues CEL is still on and each time I had them read it was O2 sensors 0700 and the 1603. Now a couple weeks ago I finally got stuck in limp mode. I'm thinking my TCM has been replaced once before my father owned it I'm attaching a picture of the scan code on the TCM I cannot find anything with this scan code related to a Jeep Wrangler. Do I have the incorrect TCM PCM? Also I would like to mention that I do have a pretty good rear main seal leak which I am now cleaning all wiring and connectors that that has affected. I would appreciate any advice or recommendation that I can do as by this Saturday I will be reconnecting battery starting the old boy up again and seeing where it goes from there. I must say that I'm kind of stubborn I refuse to let anybody work on the Jeep number one because I'm on a budget number two I don't know what I would do if I wasn't able to have my Dad's Jeep and drive it due to somebody not working on it properly so all maintenance repairs upgrades have been done by me personally with the exception of front lunch box locker.
Sorry for the story book looking forward to your response.
20221019_180358.jpg

FB_IMG_1663288590129.jpg

20221002_101723.jpg

20221019_180327.jpg

20221005_124517.jpg

Wranglerfix! Please help me! I inherited my 05 TJ from my father when he passed in 2020. CEL has been on since I got it, and codes were always for O2 sensors. I replaced all 4 O2 sensors with the NTK sensors. All was good for a while , codes went away for about a week or two and the cel came back on had it read and it was calling the same four O2 sensor codes and then that's when the 0700 and 1603 came up this is back in December of 2021. I've driven with no issues up until now, with the exception of a couple of times while on the freeway at 60 MPH or somewhere just before that it would go into neutral I'd drop the idol put it back in here and continue on no problem. That happened three times earlier this year. Since then I've driven all summer no issues CEL is still on and each time I had them read it was O2 sensors 0700 and the 1603. Now a couple weeks ago I finally got stuck in limp mode. I'm thinking my TCM has been replaced once before my father owned it I'm attaching a picture of the scan code on the TCM I cannot find anything with this scan code related to a Jeep Wrangler. Do I have the incorrect TCM PCM? Also I would like to mention that I do have a pretty good rear main seal leak which I am now cleaning all wiring and connectors that that has affected. I would appreciate any advice or recommendation that I can do as by this Saturday I will be reconnecting battery starting the old boy up again and seeing where it goes from there. I must say that I'm kind of stubborn I refuse to let anybody work on the Jeep number one because I'm on a budget number two I don't know what I would do if I wasn't able to have my Dad's Jeep and drive it due to somebody not working on it properly so all maintenance repairs upgrades have been done by me personally with the exception of front lunch box locker.
Sorry for the story book looking forward to your response.
View attachment 368697

View attachment 368696

View attachment 368695

View attachment 368692

View attachment 368694

Oh and yes I'm a woman, the Jeep is a HE! LOL

@Hammbone2020 The ECM and TCM were combined by Jeep to form the PCM. Some of the common failures are: o2 sensors showing bad when good, high transmission temperatures, 1600 codes and a hard shift from 1st to 2nd when cold are all signs that the pcm has went the way of the Edsel.

You can.call me at 866-888-7710 to discuss in further details.

Thanks,

Mark

Reactions: AndyG
@Hammbone2020 The ECM and TCM were combined by Jeep to form the PCM. Some of the common failures are: o2 sensors showing bad when good, high transmission temperatures, 1600 codes and a hard shift from 1st to 2nd when cold are all signs that the pcm has went the way of the Edsel.

You can.call me at 866-888-7710 to discuss in further details.

Thanks,

Mark

Hey Mark! Thank you so much for your response. I have a signing at 9am tomorrow (12 your time) & should be able to call you around 3 your time I'm HOPING! And yes I was aware of the combining of the two, just really not sure if this one was done right. ?.. I've already found a couple other wanky wire jobs while investigating this. 🙄 I think you'll be surprised when you speak to me. Dad was a Marine in Vietnam, and Jeeps were the thing! So I've researched the history of them, not only the history on fixing them! Lol

Are you able to tell by that scan code if it's the correct one? Or TBDetermined/TBDiscussed? LOL I look forward to speaking with you!

• USA Proud
Reactions: Wranglerfix