Transmission Cooler Needed?

Mora

TJ Enthusiast
2005 Auto Jeep 4.0

So, I am new to the Jeep life. Been going through the forums a lot and noticed that a lot of people have transmission coolers because the 42RLE Transmission tends to do a poor job when you’re on the trails.

With that being said, right now I’m using my Jeep as my DD because I’m a full time student and I have a full time job. When my schedule starts to lighten up I’ll want start off-roading more. Since I’m currently using my Jeep as a DD, is a transmission cooler necessary? Just wanting to get a definite answer because if I do get one it’s probably gonna be a Derale cooler which is pretty pricey. But if I can hold off since I’m not off-roading atm that would be great. Thanks!

All of our Wrangler automatics have factory coolers, they're built into the radiator. We add aux coolers for uses that tend to make them run hotter like low-speed rock crawling and/or hauling trailers up grades. You're very likely fine with things as they are now. :)

Reactions: Mora
All of our Wrangler automatics have factory coolers, they're built into the radiator. We add aux coolers for uses that tend to make them run hotter like low-speed rock crawling and/or hauling trailers up grades. You're very likely fine with things as they are now. :)
Oh aha, I meant aux coolers! And great! Once I start getting on the trails more, that's when I'll add an aux cooler. Thank you!:)

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Reactions: LONGJP2 and Mora
So we accidentally disconnected the cooler line trying to get a little ratchet loose that was stuck. We’re replacing the radiator. Anyways, no fluid spilled out. Can I just hook it back up and it’s good to go? Thank you! 😫

So we accidentally disconnected the cooler line trying to get a little ratchet loose that was stuck. We’re replacing the radiator. Anyways, no fluid spilled out. Can I just hook it back up and it’s good to go? Thank you! 😫

Yes and then check your transmission fluid level on its dipstick with the engine running and in neutral.

-Mac