Transmission interchange with YJ?

hear

Can't type
Lifetime Supporting Member
The 30rh & 32rh have different bellhousing shapes/bolt patterns.

Question1: will the 30rh bolt to a 4.0L, and or will the 32RH bolt to the 4cyl?

Question 2: will both/either/neither bolt to the 4.2L out of a YJ?

I got my hands on a free “32RH” but the bellhousing ain’t like any I’ve seen, so I’m guessing it’s a 30RH? I have a friend who needs one of these to mate to their YJ but I can’t find much about the bolt patterns.

59001672-0A49-4E5E-9282-DE3E19A8BECB.jpeg

I have an inkling that the 2.5 is the chevy 60* v6 pattern.

For the 4.0l-4.2l question i believe the 4.2l crank has a larger pilot bearing recess. I'm foggy on the details but remember using an amc v8 spacer and bearing for my stroker(4.2l crank)/ax15 combo

The 2.5L has the old GM pattern with the flat section up at the top. Not even close to matching the circular AMC pattern that the 6 cylinders (both 4.2L and 4.0L) have. Your pic matches a 2.5L, so should be a 30RH.

Q1: no

Q2: I think a 32RH would bolt up to a 4.2L. The 32RH is essentially a newer version of the TF999 which is what the 4.2L automatics came with.

Curious what you’re doing with a 4.2L out of a YJ?

Last edited:
You can buy AX-5 to AX-15 adapters to put an AX-15 on a 4-cylinder YJ or TJ. Hence the bolt patterns are likely different between the two engines.

https://www.advanceadapters.com/4868

Not sure if the adapters can be used in reverse…

They do sell an AX-15 to 4.2L adapter, but haven’t seen a 3-speed:
https://www.advanceadapters.com/amc-engine-to-jeep-ax15

Not sure why that adapter is listed for the 4.2L AX15, as that was a factory combination from mid 1989 through 1990. Odd.

The 2.5L has the old GM pattern with the flat section up at the top. Not even close to matching the circular AMC pattern that the 6 cylinders (both 4.2L and 4.0L) have. Your pic matches a 2.5L, so should be a 30RH.

Q1: no

Q2: I think a 32RH would hold up to a 4.2L. The 32RH is essentially a newer version of the TF999 which is what the 4.2L automatics came with.

Curious what you’re doing with a 4.2L out of a YJ?

A friend of a friend needs a transmission rebuilt, they have a YJ. I don't have a ton of details. They were on the lookout for either transmission (30 or 32) and since I have one of each in the garage I realized I had unanswered questions. This helps though.

The only additional backstory is this:
front drum needed to be replaced in the pump went out and I took it to someone to fix and they completely took it apart and then wanted to charge me and ungodly amount of money and so I just had them give it back to me and they gave it back to me and 1,000 pieces so I'm not even sure if it can be rebuilt anymore so thats why I was looking for a new one or new used one should I say.

@machoheadgames did the YJ have an electronic controlled torque converter lockup?