Transmission leak around torque converter

PalmettoStateBob

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m leaking transmission fluid around torque converter. Is it a matter of replacing a seal or do I have to change converter. 2000 TJ 4.0 w/ automatic transmission

Well took Jeep to shop and it is not front seal. But mechanic says I have the worst burned transmission fluid he has seen. He says transmission slipped with him a little on his ride back to shop after drive to find leak. I had an issue with it recently, delay going into reverse and drive but it was at low level on lipstick. He thinks I should take it somewhere to get rebuilt rather than throw money at fluid🤦‍♂️. Leak may be dipstick or pan seal. I’m going to price a rebuild and price a used transmission

Leak may be dipstick or pan seal. I’m going to price a rebuild and price a used transmission
If the leak is the dipstick or the pan seal I'd absolutely fix the leak and change the fluid. That is not money down the drain if it fixes your problem. Low fluid will cause strange behavior so that's nothing to get a rebuild over. Ya, you might blow some coin on fluid and gaskets but it's what I'd do.

If the leak is the dipstick or the pan seal I'd absolutely fix the leak and change the fluid. That is not money down the drain if it fixes your problem. Low fluid will cause strange behavior so that's nothing to get a rebuild over. Ya, you might blow some coin on fluid and gaskets but it's what I'd do.
Yeah I told my wife I was going to change fluid and filter myself just to see. I have held off because of leak, but now I know it’s something I can fix myself. Thing that is odd to me is I’ve went through 4-6 quarts and what leaks is black and on my stick it is black, figured it we be red by now