Transmission line from radiator leaking, how bad is this?

kameronkales

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
17DD45AA-F659-4333-B492-A8809C6919DC.jpeg
Was under the Jeep and noticed this line leaking. Fiancé and I are taking Jeep to mountains tomorrow for week long birthday trip.

What are risks of waiting 500 miles to fix? Anything we should be worried about?

I’m guessing I need a new line and constant tension clamp to fix (hopefully after our vacation)

04 LJ Automatic transmission 88k miles

How well do you two do in Vegas? Could be years of weepage or a small split/crappy clamp. If it comes off youll dump the trans fluid in short order. Your probably on the road already but Id at least put a worm drive clamp on it and shitecan the factory one.

Reactions: kameronkales
At minimum least look closely at the hose end and see if its split or cracked and if its Ok then add the worm drive clamp. Nothing like having a flame out with the wife in the rig and a dog or two.

I'd snip the very end off that hose and reinstall it with a worm drive clamp. A worm drive clamp is not the preferred type but it'll do. A constant tension clamp is better but harder to find.

Clamp the hose closed with long-nose vise grip or similar and have someone stick a finger on the radiator port until you can get the hose back onto it. You won't loose that much ATF.

any idea dimensions on the hose? I can probably dig up somewhere on this site if not.

And size of constant tension clamp?

I might as well fix for real vs hope

I'd snip the very end off that hose and reinstall it with a worm drive clamp. A worm drive clamp is not the preferred type but it'll do. A constant tension clamp is better but harder to find.

Clamp the hose closed with long-nose vise grip or similar and have someone stick a finger on the radiator port until you can get the hose back onto it. You won't loose that much coolant.
This is it, trim, reclamp, roll- not a major problem, and you have lots of hose it appears.

Clamp the hose closed with long-nose vise grip or similar and have someone stick a finger on the radiator port until you can get the hose back onto it. You won't loose that much coolant.
I believe Jerry means trans fluid, not coolant on the port part. It is a trans cooler line FYI that holds trans fluid. I cant recall if the line is 5/16 ID or 3/8...argg... Either way a worm drive will be adjustable and will hold it just fine until you change to the other type if you desire. I personally dont care of the tension type but I guess considering 90% of the clamps you find these days are Imported junk and not worth buying. Typically Napa seems to carry good ones. Enjoy the trip ;)

Just keep an eye on it -nothing catastrophic is likely to happen , but the lines can harden over time.