Transmission problem '06 6-spd NSG 370

spicoli

Hello there! I have an 06 TJ Rubicon with around 117000 miles. Had her for 8 months give or take, I drive it daily.

About 3 months ago, I started having problems going from first to second gear, where if the RPMs were too high it would kick out of the second gear when I eased off of the clutch. I have since changed the way that I engage second and gently baby the shifter so it doesn't kick out.

The problem hasn't gotten any worse since it became a thing. I thought about repairing it, and then learned that for the time money I would probably have to just get a reman which I have sources for. I can't go down that road for a while though, does anyone here know much about this transmission and what the potential issue could be with second gear? I had thought that it might be a problem with a synchro going bad, but I'm not even positive if there is one between first and second gear. Thank you.

I can also say that it doesn't always pop out of gear, I can feel some roughness when shifting into it. I hope that helps. Thanks

Did you try changing the transmission fluid? 2nd gear is notorious on that transmission. Some people get good results by using the Redline MTL (2 quarts)

Reactions: bromel
I have a 2005 with same transmission. I don't have this exact issue but a different one between 1st and 2nd. The shift from 1-2 can be very rough but not all the time. I have not figured out how to smooth it out reliably. I tried shifting at higher as well as lower RPMs and it sill happens some times. The best I have come up with is to really take my time shifting 1-2, all other shifts are just fine. I put Royal Purple synchromax in and that seemed to help a little.

Did you try changing the transmission fluid? 2nd gear is notorious on that transmission. Some people get good results by using the Redline MTL (2 quarts)

+1. This might work, but it's not a miracle fix. The 6-speed is a notoriously weak transmission, unfortunately. But definitely try MTL before you consider more drastic measures.

I sure did. I have changed the fluid twice with Redline MTL (MS-9224)

Mine doesn't like the first couple of 1-2 shifts when it's cold, but once it warms up it's fine. I usually double clutch or rev match, and it goes into 2nd fine.