Transmission running hotter after tummy tuck and engine skid install, normal?

Michael Alzen

Supporting Member
I recently installed the UCF extra clearance transfer case skid and engine skid. On my last wheeling trip I noticed the trans getting up to 210 on the way to the trail at freeway speeds. On the trail it generally stayed at 180 which is pretty normal. Before the install I had occasionally seen it get up to 210 but only on 95 degree days on very steep slow climbs around 15-25 mph.

Could the increased temp just be due to reduced airflow from the engine skid and being tucked into the body more? Is 210 fine and I shouldn't worry about it?

I've already had the body lift and MML lift in place for over a year, the only recent changes were the skid install and I replaced the shift solenoid pack inside the transmission at the same time.

The belly up usually tips the engine downward in the front which can change the way the air flow is drawn in by the fan blades interacting with the shroud, but since you already installed the MML that shouldn't be a concern. With what you have done and what had been done previously; does your transmission shift properly ?

The belly up usually tips the engine downward in the front which can change the way the air flow is drawn in by the fan blades interacting with the shroud, but since you already installed the MML that shouldn't be a concern. With what you have done and what had been done previously; does your transmission shift properly ?

Yes sir, shifting feels fine

The shaft u-joints are stressed. Do you hear harmonic vibrations?
I don’t believe so. I installed SYE and dc shaft a week or so after the skid. Haven’t noticed any weird vibrations. I do have a squeal from the rear at very low speeds that I haven’t checked out yet. Heard it for the first time yesterday while wheeling but I didn’t think it would be related to trans temp.

Alignments of the shafts in relations to the angle. There was a good video in there somewhere and they said it strained the trans.

Do you have an auxiliary transmission cooler? If not, one may help protect your transmission from overheating. Unless you live somewhere very cold, it is quite hard to overcool a transmission.

Thanks Chris! Appreciate it. If it goes over 210 I might just add a Derale in addition to the B&M.

The sound deadening material helped cool down my floor pan tremendously after the tummy tuck, I can tell you that. It helped keep the heat (and noise) out substantially.

Reactions: Michael Alzen