Transmission shifting issues

egclassic

TJ Enthusiast
2000 4.0 with auto transmission, 98650 miles.
I've had this jeep for several years now, not a daily driver, and never really liked the way it shifts.
If I take off at a "normal" pace, it upshifts from 2nd to 3rd very quickly. It also doesn't seem to downshift when needed either. Today I decided to drive it the, mostly highway route to work, and had cruise set to 72-74ish. When I hit a hill, I started losing speed, because it never downshifted. I had to manually downshift to gain speed.
I've tried adjusting the TV cable many times, as directed from posts on here, with not much luck. I have replaced the TV cable but I didn't get the Mopar which I probably should have! Seems like there is excess movement on the cable where it mounts to the plate, and this junk cable feels "gritty" when I pull on it.
Fluid was changed a couple years ago, by a "trusted" mechanic due to time constraints I had at the time and can only hope he used ATF+4 fluid. Level is good, checked it with it running in neutral.
I am considering buying the Mopar TV cable and possibly adjusting the bands, per the FSM procedure. Would this be advisable to do with the current mileage or best to leave it be?
Also, I don't have the optimal gearing in this thing either. I have the factory 3.07 and running 32's. Just haven't set my mind to whether I'm going keep this jeep or not.

I can only state the obvious...which you've stated... gearing.

One cheap(er) option might be to find some 3.73 or 4.11 axles and swap them in. Won't be the right ratio but it'll be closer.

-Mac

I can only state the obvious...which you've stated... gearing.

One cheap(er) option might be to find some 3.73 or 4.11 axles and swap them in. Won't be the right ratio but it'll be closer.

-Mac

Yeah I know the gearing is an issue, I just really don't want to put that kind of money in this thing. Personally, I would like to sell it but the wife says no!
She also wants me to get another boat since we sold our other one. That will be my leverage to sell the jeep. :)